W/NG on Ebay

Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Golden Anorak

W/NG on Ebay

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:27 am

Funny W/NG look-a-like 350 on Ebay.
If one would like to make this in to a proper W/NG again you will need a lot of hard to find parts for it.
Both mudguards, speedo (now a Indian rep) complete front end including the complete handlebar and levers(now Tomaselli)
It has what looks like a 500 petrol and oil tank fitted. Apart from the headlamp (repro ?) No electrics at all.
I dont think there should be a dot after the 'XG'
Can't see it properly but I think it has a GB box fitted, same goes for the carb, Concentric ?
wrong rear brake pedal, from swingarm?
The asking price is IMHO skimming the outer bounderies of decency .

bhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-1940-Ar ... SwxKxeZREa

W-NG with teles  (1).jpg
W-NG with teles  (2).jpg
W-NG with teles  (5).jpg
W-NG with teles  (4).jpg
W-NG with teles  (3).jpg
W-NG with teles  (7).jpg
W-NG with teles  (6).jpg

will_curry
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: W/NG on Ebay

Postby will_curry » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:00 pm

It looks to me as if it's one of those 'bikes that's been kept going over
the years by replacing the parts which wore out with newer parts.

I quite like the look of most of it - I hate dangling cables - and with the lights
working and some more appropriate tyres I'd enjoy riding it.

It's more Ariel than a few that have been on EBay recently and less expensive too . . .

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Interesting rocker feed arrangement.
Does the seller think that the casting number on the head is an engine number? Oh dear :(
(Looks a bit like a '54/'55 head too - with the straight finning above the push-rod tubes)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

john.nash

Postby john.nash » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Looks like a later engine: the head isn't WNG and the rockers are fed from the return (cannot see any rocker feed off the timing cover)
Concentric carb and later gearbox. Do early WNG tanks have the seat cut out ? Wrong oil tank and probably other bits.

All the parts might be within 7 or 8 years of each other, except the carb (and I have concentric on mine)

I don't think it matters: buy it and ride it.
He's honest to admit it needs sorting to be turned back to WW2 spec - caveat emptor if you wanted to do that as it won't be cheap to do and if you can even get some of the parts....
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:25 pm

i would just put some led lights on it with just a battery and leave it as is and go and have some fun on it a lot of people will not know it is not right but a lot of people will love it someone has just made it how they like it and ride better like we did years ago 8-)

PeterW

Postby PeterW » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:52 pm

I think I'd have to go one way or the other with it. Looks a weird mix as it is. Bearing in mind how expensive WNG forks are I think I'd strip the rack, pannier, headlight mask and petrol cap surround (not something I've seen before) off. Then paint over the stencilled number and run it as a fun, modified 350. Probably rides better with the later forks anyway :¬)

Leslie.Ore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Leslie.Ore » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 pm

8-) 8-) Definitely Indian tank by angle of the badge,I like it,dump the daft pannier and headlamp mask,then hit those green lanes.

Return to “For sale/wanted - Bikes”