Double adult sidecar

berniejones
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Double adult sidecar

Postby berniejones » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:17 am

I'm looking for a sidecar - or project - that can take two adults to for onto my SQ4.
Also interested in any thoughts as to what the most suitable models might be?

Would like to keep to the period if possible but ability to transport four adults is the main object.

Thanks,
Bernie
'56 SQ4
'52 BSA M21
'56 BSA M21 combination
'61 Dommie 99
'64 B40 SS90
'65 A50CC project
AOMCC# 4631

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Double adult sidecar

Postby adrie.degraaff » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:04 am

berniejones wrote:ability to transport four adults is the main object.

Ariel made cars too :) .

john.bebb
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby john.bebb » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Bernie - I can recommend the "Busmar"; - either the Saloon or the Astral as big roomy chairs...
Unfortunately I have no idea where you'd get such a thing nowadays...
I s'pose you could get hold of a chassis such as the Watsonian SV4 & custom build your own bodywork!
Cheers, J.

PS - there's also the possibility of the "Canterbury Carmobile" which was allegedly large enough to accomodate three adults - originally came with fitted radio, heater & table...
or there was the Briggs Dolphin.
A more modern take on big chairs is the Watsonian "Oxford" - that's alledged to seat four as 2 by 2 but they'ed have to be slim.

PPS - why not seek out a Horex - (of Polish origin) 'twas I believe the only production motorcycle designed to seat three persons lengthways... - then you could just fit same with a single seat chair...

daveleek

Postby daveleek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:53 pm

Bernie , I wouldnt want to have four adults on an outfit , I once had 3 , me one in the sidecar and one pillion , never again I would be very concerned about the weight causing a lot of wear and strain on the frame and fittings , even a double adult sidecar carrying 2 adults is pushing it , but the most important thing is safety you would need disc brakes up front and a sidecar brake , I have had some very close ones on my outfit with drums all round carrying only my box of tools for ballast in the sidecar, mixing with modern traffic . Have a look at Busmar and Canterbury they made some enormous sidecars they were relatively light for the size being made of wood and aluminium ,I was just going to say I havent seen one for sale for ages , there is a Busmar on Ebay at the moment and it looks quite good
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Busmar-Sidec ... SwxxVfgwKB

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 pm

hi that busmar looks not a bad side car and a good price to and i think it is a lots lighter than the watsonian double adult that i had on my thunderbird and matchless about 50 years ago , i have been thinking about putting a chassis with a box on, on one of my old Ariel's to runaround and pick up parts 8-) :) like i did with my matchless i took the bodies off and put a wooden oblong box to carry someone in it and on the thunderbird i put a body that look like a kids ride off a fun fair i done it on so could ride a big cc bike on L plats and carry passengers at 16 :D :D 8-) and i had lots of fun with them :D :D
Last edited by JohnnyBeckett on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:46 pm

At one stage I fitted a double adult Canterbury sidecar (not a Carmobile) to my 1957 VH. With 4 adults on board (we were students at the time, so a little lighter than more mature adults) the bike would not go up something like a 1 in 8 without the passengers dismounting. This was with a 22T engine sprocket. But the original green lining alloy hub brakes were no problem going down a similar hill.

I didn't like the sidecar when fitted and sold it as soon as I could, replacing it with a Watsonian Monza which I did like, very much.

If you fit a double adult sidecar to the Square and want to take 4 adults about in it, you will need to come down quite a bit on the engine sprocket. I have both 22T and 23T Sq 4 sprockets available in my autojumble box should you need them.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:47 pm

paul.jameson wrote:...This was with a 22T engine sprocket.

Good grief - isn't a 22T your preferred gearing for a VH in solo trim, Paul??!!! :o

We've a member of the local VMCC who ran a late Square for years (many decades probably, he's only recently passed it on to his son) with a big sidecar as family transport - including rallies on the continent.

I think he clocked up well over 100k miles on the outfit. Obviously no issues with using the bike like that although he did do the hydraulic 2LS front brake conversion.

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby paul_turner » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:35 pm

thought I would post my old one to give you some idea.
Attachments
DSCF1143.jpg
DSCF1143.jpg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 1028 times

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Yes, Simon, 22T is indeed my preferred sprocket for a solo VH. But in 1974 I was a student, short of money and shorter still of engine sprockets!
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:24 am

This one is a start .....

https://en.hd-classic.be/collection/zz- ... -ariel-sq4

5e8f033bd05f16d73119f1d5_DSC06799.jpg
5e8f033bd05f16d73119f1d5_DSC06799.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 975 times

Return to “For sale/wanted - Bikes”