Dnepr.....Russian Iron Wanted

DougJackson

Dnepr.....Russian Iron Wanted

Postby DougJackson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:34 pm

I know it's not an Ariel but I fancy a Russian bike for next year to expand the collection. Quite fancy a Dnepr or Ural etc. I'm keeping an eye on ebay etc but just in case anyone has one of this hideous pigs in a shed and wants rid....I thought I'd ask here too..
Thanks

admin
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Dnepr.....Russian Iron Wanted

Postby admin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:28 pm

I have three

I have an early 60's M62 with a chair, which I have had for 13/14 years.
I take the kid to school in it, when it's not raining. We did the dragan rally a few years back.
I am likely to die and still own this bike:

ural.jpg

I have a CJ750 sidevalve.Had this now nearly 12 years and it has been, and is, a great thing.
Would find it tough to part with this one
cj750.jpg

Finally, I have a K750 project

19095914_10212591646086682_365240660_o.jpg

I would hearltily recommend you buy a sidevalve - either a K750 or an M72.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

DougJackson

Postby DougJackson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Wow John....what a collection. A few friends have them and I fancied a bike going to the dragon and other rallies(French Indian rally) on a bike which was a bit less stressed than the 1944 wng I have and maybe less valuable for winter use etc. Because of this I was thinking of an early OHV mt9 or something similar that would cruise at 60mph on solo gearing (optimistic?) As I know the Side valve ones are more lie 50mph ???
I am after a solo and thought I'd be OK with 2000 quid for a sorted one but after dithering for a year or so they are suddenly going up in value.
I figure if I can get an mt9 or 11 and then put an earlier tear drop tank on and a single seat I can make a war pig that will be smart but usable. Maybe source the prettier Chang mudguards. I have been tempted by some Polish and ukraine bikes but I guess I'm just old fashioned and would like to buy a bike from someone who can drive a spanner. Thanks for sharing you Russian iron and keep your ear to the ground for me in case something pops up......
Meanwhile on with the Wng rebuild.....

My wife says I should finish one before starting the next but I insist on queueing them up!

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby simon.holyfield » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:30 am

Why do you recommend the side valves John?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

admin

Postby admin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:57 am

The OHV outfits are 650cc and geared for around 55mph.
I am sure an OHV solo would go well beyond this on solo gearing, but I've not ridden one to say precisely.
The sidevalves are 750, but suffer the usual sidevalve issues of heat and inability to rev. My solo is good for around 65mph absolutely flat out - if you ride it up to that for any time then it will overheat. Alot. Happiest around 55mph.
All are boxer engines so lovely and smooth - very little vibration.

The sidevalve has more torque as it's a larger displacement. It is also quieter with less parts to maintain.
I think it has more character and isn't really disadvantaged when hitched to a chair - the gearing limits both the OHV and sidevalve as the shaft drive gearing options are limited.

You can argue the merits of the dnepr 650 OHV and the Ural 650 OHV.
Later Dneprs suffer from alot of quality issues, as the factory was struggling before and after the dissolution of the eastern bloc. If it's been owned by someone who has been using it, then it's likely to be sorted though. I think the dnepr factory struggled on into the late 1990's but still produced the occasional parts and bikes after that (opinion seems divided) but it's effectively been end of life for around 15-20 years.
Ural is still going BUT has been making their 750 OHV's, mainly for the american market, since the early 2000's. These are a different engine and the factory I don't think makes any more 650 stuff.
However, there are parts a plenty given the huge production run of likely millions of bikes over the years and the number of owners still running them makes selling things viable.

The CJ750's are effectively the russian M72 and ther are later upgrades to a 12v engine with starter. CJ750 and M72 are largely interchangeable and mostly interchangeable with the K750 engine (K750 uses a swingarm frame)

Like most old bikes, the prices of russian stuff has crept up over the years. Especially the older stuff with plunger frames

Very few are likely to be original as parts are fairly interchangeable over something like 50 years. Thus my ostensibly early 60's outfit has later "dnepr leading links and front TLS, I have a slightly later engine (with filter).

If you are asking me for a recommendation .. buy a sidevalve 750.
If you can get one then go for a Cj750 or M72. The plunger frame makes them much lower and easier to manage.
Get a later TLS front brake, replace the original carbs (if russian) with CJ750 ones and put an electronic regulator on.
John Nash
Administrator

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:02 pm

How do you get on with the chair on the right? Does it feel odd if the road has a lot of camber? Do passengers enjoy the experience of being low down and in the middle of the road?

I must say I like the look and feel of these bikes. My son and I have had a few MZ and Minsk two strokes, but would both enjoy one of these.
Last edited by simon.holyfield on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

PeterW
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby PeterW » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Looks good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282669893452

Depending on what the reserve is of course....

admin

Postby admin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:54 pm

simon.holyfield wrote:How do you get on with the chair on the right? Does it feel odd if the road has a lot of camber? Do passengers enjoy the experience of being low down and n the middle of the road?

No issue
It's the same as the gears on the left/right and up or down for first etc.
After a mile or so you do not notice.

I am waiting on bits for the project K750 and may just make headway on it over the winter
John Nash
Administrator

DougJackson

Postby DougJackson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Top advice. The Side Valve is by far the prettiest. I will try and find an early plunger model as the cleaner look is nicer, looks more elegant. Yours is stuning. Love the bags.

Return to “For sale/wanted - Bikes”