1948 VCH

leon.mitchell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

1948 VCH

Postby leon.mitchell » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 am

How does this one compare with yours, Nev?

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-detail ... lot/39857/

Leon

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1948 VCH

Postby nevhunter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:23 pm

The engine is earlier Leon, Mines mid 50 but still round base.. Some slight finning differences on the Barrel. The exhaust system is not original nor the guards and stays, perhaps but they are type suitable, and I haven't checked the frame number.. It seems cheap to me. They didn't make a lot of them. CP box was available if ordered, and said to be "suitable" for Trials and scrambles on the ADVERT of the time. Nev

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:42 am

Its probably #7 made. The frame # is the same as the standard single series for 1949, but shortened (as they were) you can see how close the rear guard is to the gearbox. The case shows the expected corrosion these engines usually exhibit. Magnesium is very active. I can't see the lug they had later on the tube going from the seat to the rear axle to mount the upswept exhaust pipe on the RHS. This bike may have well been manufactured in late 1948 but is (by the numbers ) a 1949 model. where the frame number was generally COM (for the VCH) but being very early may not be covered by the "normal" numbering.. It's geared very low at the rear sprocket. These were only made in a corner in the "special Projects " division, I'm led to believe by someone my son spoke to many years ago who worked there and had a project circuit bike made with many magnesium parts, and brought them to Australia when he migrated and has long since died.. A collector should buy this. It's not expensive. My comments here are only my opinion. You purchase on your OWN assessment after due research. Nev

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 am

I am not so positive, it's a standard high 1950 number in the frame, where there are leaft-overs of a WNG sidestand, with a 1948-49 engine, dents in the tank for more steering angle, a cut brakepadle, no footrests, broken fins and a pre war 350 box.

So 3000 pounds is more that enough at the moment.

leon.mitchell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby leon.mitchell » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:12 am

Yes I can see the crank case would need a close look before purchasing. There might be unpleasant things lurking underneath.

The BTH KD1 TT magneto was sometimes made in a magnesium alloy. I came across one recently -the body had very significant corrosion to the point where it was probably beyond use. I guess after nearly 70 years we can't expect too much!

Cheers

Leon

vch-ariel.jpg
VCH magnesium crank case

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am

VCH is a lie, the frame nr. a lie and the gearbox a lie, we are calling that 3 times nothing in Holland.
Don't you have a law against that?

ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby ian.scott » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Aren't you all judging this by the wrong standards.?
Surely it is just a trials bike that probably has been modified a few times to make it more competitive rather than an attempt to deceive anyone that it is a standard bike of any description.
A case of "what you see is what you get "

Ian

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:03 pm

ian.scott wrote:Aren't you all judging this by the wrong standards.?

Oké, i'll refrase; it's a home built trialsbike with a WNG frame, a restamp number and a 1949 VCH engine.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Frame is indeed a W/NG one, both field stand swivel point and spring clip brackets are partially there.
Rear fork end points down, that is also a giveaway for a W/NG frame.
But nothing wrong with that, pretty normal to use such a frame for a competition bike.
Magnesium crankcase is da pukka stuff, but after so many years very likely to have loose mainbearings .
That can be solved by making steel inserts for the bearings.

9469_0 - kopie.jpg

Song for Adrie : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CFuCYNx-1g

leon.mitchell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby leon.mitchell » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Interesting. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't quite get what's going on here.

The Draganfly list has 1950 VCH frame numbers as having prefix "COM or AB". Does this mean there were two different frames offered for the VCH in 1950? Or something else?

As well as 1950 VCH, Drags has AB for 1950 rigid NG, NH, VG, VH and even VB. Are all these AB frames identical?

Could AB1603 be a 1950 VCH frame number?

The H&H frame is clearly different from the 1950 catalogue illustration.

Leon
compare-vch.jpg
Lower bike is 1950 VCH catalogue

Return to “For sale/wanted - Bikes”