1933 4 valve Hunter

hristo.kiskinov

Re: 1933 4 valve Hunter

Postby hristo.kiskinov » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:37 pm

This is not the typical crack. The typical crack is between the exhaust-valves. That is why Rudge made the radial (half-radial) head...

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:13 am

And used bronze for the head on the Ulster models (Radial exhaust valves) Rudge at one time tried liquid cooling , I believe, but didn't use it in production.. Not all the iron heads crack but many do between the ports of the exhaust side. I've seen Rudges successfully welded there but you must know how to weld to do it, and I would think the whole head would have to be heated and certainly cooled slowly which is the time when the cracking happens. You can operate with cracks which tend to close up a bit when hot and running. Inserts make it look good but may dislodge if the head is cracked and give you great expense. Nev

Hugh Jaeger

Postby Hugh Jaeger » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:21 pm

hristo.kiskinov wrote:A 1933 4-Valve Red Hunter does not exist. This is a 1933 (or 1934,1935) bike with a transplanted 4-Valve engine from the earlier (very different) model 1932. I am not sure if this is a VH32 (Red Hunter) or a VG32 engine. I must see the top of the cylinder head to check.

How different is the 1933/34/35 frame from the one for which the 1932 four-valve engine was made? And if the frame and engine do not match, in what price range should the bike be?

The tank is painted black, with red panels. Should it be chromed with red panels?

Look closely at the downpipe on the right side. It seems to have been cut through and welded up. Has someone taken a left side downpipe and adapted it to fit?

The vehicle has a RH-series registration mark. That series was issued by Kingston-upon-Hull between 1929 and 1934.

The previous owner was Reg Eyre, who lived in the Cotswolds. Did any of you know him or this bike in those days?

Return to “For sale/wanted - Bikes”