38 square

Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 38 square

Postby Keith.owen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi,
I have just read this thread with a mixture of surprise and dismay :(

I think it is important to consider the age of the machines that we ride and perhaps their true condition. If everything is as it should be they are hard as nails and will go on forever. Perhaps the only real weak link is in the electrics - I suspect that some of the pattern replacement parts aren't as good as they ought to be as well as some of the reconditioning services.

They do need maintaining, though, unlike modern machines where everything is sealed and non serviceable (replacement only). Will there ever be a time when people restore 2018 vintage BMWs that are a couple of generations old? Time will tell.

Steve Carter is an inspiration to me. He has had a BMW and prefers his Ariels. For some of us, that says it all!!

Keith

PS. I rebuilt the engine on my VH properly last winter. I fitted one of those wonderful Omega pistons and a magnetic sump filter (both from singles spares) and got the flywheel balanced. I have changed the oil two times after 250 and 500 miles and am currently at 800 miles. At no time has the oils shown any sign of grime - it looks clean. I think if you use good quality components and get the service of good professionals (Owlsbury Crankshaft Services) things can be quite good!
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Ahum, not wishing to sound pedantic....(o.k. I am :lol: ) but... it all comes down to dedication.
See 77 year young Peter Volkers and his Rapide , he did and does a few miles on it.
Indeed not a 'Rally' bike, but a riders bike .

Moto artikel Volkers  (2).JPG
Moto artikel Volkers  (1).JPG

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:03 am

The only prewar bike with 100% spares availability ,and affordable spares of better than original standard,has risen in price from reasonable to stratospheric in the last 15 years.Buts its a bit like some millenial asked me...."How hard can it be to make a magneto?........My answer..".B*******y hard since the Lucas factory was closed.".....Incidentally,I always wanted a BMW R60 of the 1960 s.......when I finally got to try one,I wasnt impressed,didnt like it.

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:03 am

The only prewar bike with 100% spares availability ,and affordable spares of better than original standard,has risen in price from reasonable to stratospheric in the last 15 years.Buts its a bit like some millenial asked me...."How hard can it be to make a magneto?........My answer..".B*******y hard since the Lucas factory was closed.".....Incidentally,I always wanted a BMW R60 of the 1960 s.......when I finally got to try one,I wasnt impressed,didnt like it.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:54 am

British bikes are still cheap here in Australia. If you buy carefully there's good value if you don't rush into it and pay a reasonable price and not just the cheapest out there.. IF you buy junk it's JUNK. Realise what little your money buys elsewhere like renovations, extensions or a driveway and what high salaries some are getting. I worked on the sort of bikes most have here when I was very young. The bikes were often only 3 years old and were in bad shape in some instances, due to poor workmanship of the previous "mechanics" (so called). I had a big interest in aircraft flying models then so didn't like the butchering that was happening to the bikes. Most were in pretty poor shape at around 30,000 miles. They were used for transport to and from work each day and many roads were goat tracks and dirt. We regarded most "dealers" as scoundrels and robbers and that probably wasn't far off the truth. WE still had just got rid of "Coupons" and new American Cars and bikes just weren't available, unless they were war disposals mainly Indians and Harleys. Yes, New in the crate for around 10 Pounds( Under two weeks wages). With one of these baby's painted white or bright colours with plenty of leather tassled seats and panniers , you had the "look". and the sound to drive down the mainstreet and be noticed,. I never aspired to own one of those I must point out. I had to be content to get by with my 1936 RH 350, fitter with a WD head to enclose the valve gear. replaced shortly after with a BSA ZA 7 star twin and then 1947 RE Bullet with swing arm frame. I did quite a lot of miles on the Enfield and worked it hard. Nev

Kevin.Priest
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Kevin.Priest » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:38 pm

Ok quick update , toys have been recovered and at present nothing is going up for sale . The 31VB& F Have made it to German rally and now on the way to Amsterdam for the annual . We’ve met so many lovely people and Sabina has had such a fantastic time she’s full of enthusiasm for riding them a lot more often .
People that were interested in buying the square thanks for your interest but for now it’s not for sale .
Kevin

andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 pm

The right decision, well done,good luck for the future with them.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Yes, good decision, that was a close shave ! :D

Paul Slootheer

Postby Paul Slootheer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:15 pm

I allready know he would come to his senses! :lol:

Serious: This is wise decision Kevin!! :D

Regards, Paul

Kevin.Priest
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Kevin.Priest » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote:Yes, good decision, that was a close shave ! :D

Yes you are right it was a close shave ! The bikes have been good and my wife loves it !
We’ve had a great trip so far and it ain’t over yet

Return to “For sale/wanted - Bikes”