FP.jpg

Is this a HS pillion foot peg?
Wade

will_curry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Foot peg

Postby will_curry » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:56 pm

I like the idea of a scrambler with pillion footrests. I might have done better with
a pillion to tell me what I was doing wrong . . .

W/NG perhaps?

wade.edwards
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby wade.edwards » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Just so happens I saw an original HS for sale yesterday that was originally ordered with a QD headlight and pillion rests.

admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby admin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:50 pm

Deffo not WNG

Drags picture - the support shouldn't be chromed obv but the foot rest matches the pic in the parts book

John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 pm

This peg is pressed steel in a U shape. It is not cast solid like every other Ariel peg I’ve seen. I don’t have a HS or HT so conjectured that it might be from one of those two. Probably isn’t Ariel at all.

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Wade,

Your timing on this is about 3 days late! The footrest is almost identical with the rear footrests on the Healey which I completed restoration of two days ago! The only significant difference is that your footrest is tapered along its length in a manner guaranteed to make the footrest rubbers work their way off to freedom. The Healey footrests have the same U - section as yours has at its inner end throughout their length. At the outer end, the metal is turned outwards for about 1/16" on all 3 sides, presumably to keep the footrest rubber in place. Replacement rubbers are a standard item for Jeff Hunter (for the Healey type ones). The system for preventing the footrest falling down whilst travelling without a pillion passenger is sheer crap in comparison with the Ariel system. The pivot bolt has a shakeproof washer beneath both the bolt head and the nut. So you tighten the nut until there is enough friction between the two parts for the footrest to stay upright. The shakeproof washers maintain this level of friction (in theory, but probably long enough to last for the warranty period). Then you need to tighten the nut, only to find that the shakeproof washers no longer resist shake!

Given the undoubted improvement of the assembly with the modification to keep the rubber on, I suspect that this is an inferior make item rather than an aftermarket one. The fact that Jeff Hunter has the rubbers as standard items backs this theory up. BSA or Triumph are the favourite culprits. When building the Healeys, Tim sourced parts from whatever was readily available. Hence BSA instruments and stand, BMW handlebar switches, Ducati wheels, Honda indicators and main switches, Ariel engines, gearboxes and handlebars, etc.

I really don't fancy trying to remove a footrest rubber to take a photo for you as I think it would be less than easy, given the experience of fitting them.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:32 pm

No, don’t take one off, Paul. That only makes it easier to come off by itself :o
What about a longer bolt with a Thackeray washer?
I’ll try to find out what marque this belongs to. Obviously not Ariel.

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:51 am

Minor clarification to my previous post. I have completed restoration of the rear footrests of the Healey, not of the complete bike! There is still some work to do before the bike is completed.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:33 pm

HI i look at that foot peg wen i was down at drags wen i needed 2 for my ariel it is nothing like a ariel one it looks like a mickey mouse one i got my two rear foot pegs at kempton park bike jumble :!:

chris.shearwood

Postby chris.shearwood » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi Wade,
I was looking for something else down in the barn and came across this footpeg. If you want it, you can have it.
Regards, Chris
Attachments
009.JPG
003.JPG
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

Return to “For sale/wanted - Parts”