Wanted: Whitworth and other specialty tools

cmattina

Wanted: Whitworth and other specialty tools

Postby cmattina » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:41 pm

Wondering if people have any spare stuff laying around... thinking of fork pullers and sprocket/pinion pullers as well as a set of whitworth spanners or sockets.

Ironically, i used to be fully stocked on the above but had to sell it all off during a "job transition".

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Wanted: Whitworth and other specialty tools

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm

HI if you go to motorcycle shows and auto jumbles you will find all you need but you will wait till they re open i have found lots of odd tools and bits at Kempton park motorcycle auto jumble you just look around and you can get good deals :)

cmattina

Postby cmattina » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:22 pm

JohnnyBeckett wrote:HI if you go to motorcycle shows and auto jumbles you will find all you need but you will wait till they re open i have found lots of odd tools and bits at Kempton park motorcycle auto jumble you just look around and you can get good deals :)

Thanks Johnny,

I live very far from any city centre (about 5.5 hours to closest), so do not make it to many events.

admin

Postby admin » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Car boot sales mate (when they reopen).
Loads of whitworth/AF spanners and stuff for pennies - often stuff like mag spanners as well

You will be very, very lucky to find any specific ariel pinion pullers and it's worth buying those new as you will deffo need the one(s) for your bikes.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:39 pm

Sounds like you are in a 'mail order' or 'make it yourself' situation, 5.5 hours from the nearest city?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:16 am

For an Ariel 4-stroke single the only 'special' tool I find indispensable is the magneto/cam sprocket puller (part number 6621-29).
Drags should have them but they seem to be on back order only at the moment, however there is a photo available!
https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/c ... uct/46014-

John Budgen has them listed (see just above the bottom of his engine spares list). I'm not sure that's a guarantee that he has them in stock but he's usually fairly good with parts.
http://www.johnbudgenmotorcycles.co.uk/ ... spares.htm

(I have to say, although in my admittedly not massive experience, the Ariel single is one of the most simply constructed engines and consequently it's pretty easy to work on.)

HTH

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

ian.scott

Postby ian.scott » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am

Having lost most of my Whitworth and Cycle thread tools when my tool roll went 'missing' on a run last year, I have found a similar problem and most of the tools at autojumbles or car boot sales are battered Metric spanners.

Ian

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:29 pm

HI Ian i have no problem getting BSW Spanners and sockets new and old ones at classic autojumbles or at kempton park motorcycle jumbles and i have seen the mag puller on EBAY new and old ones sealey tools or us pro or bergen tools are good and not that dear new :)

cmattina

Postby cmattina » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks guys for the links

Thought i'd need a fork puller as well?

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:15 pm

A fork puller - to pull the fork legs up inside the yokes??
I've never come even close to wanting one. (You might want a special tool to unscrew the oil-seal holders from the sliders but there are other ways to do that - probably at least a couple of threads on it in the forum!)
I think you'll find that the way the steering head and forks are put together (eg long tapers on the upper part of the fork legs ) on your early-fifties bike you'll be fine.
But I have just thought of another couple of useful items - tappet spanners which no-one seems to have except maybe Club Spares (listed as 6604-55, I think that's just an open-ended spanner - the better ones are 6615-34 but I don't know where they'd come from, maybe ebay)
And the thin spanner for the steering head nuts and rigid frame rear wheel bearing nuts, which Drags do have (you might find two of these useful although I seem to be managing with just the one!)
https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/c ... uct/13287-
I see Drags have a fork puller as well - I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to have one, if you must :) !

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Return to “For sale/wanted - Parts”