Trade Hartley Alloy Barrel for WNG CP Box

wade.edwards
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Trade Hartley Alloy Barrel for WNG CP Box

Postby wade.edwards » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:13 am

Have a standard bore,(in need of rebore), outside pushrod, VH, four stud, alloy barrel. To be clear, this barrel is a pre-enclosed pushrod type and looks the same as regular pre and post war iron barrels. Showed it to Sammy Miller this week who said it must be a Hartley which is what I've been saying all along. I have another one of these barrels that I've converted to five stud and fitted a VCH head with trimmed fins. Looks brilliant.
I am currently collecting spares to put together a 1944 WNG and still in need of a few things. Would like to have steel primary and timing covers, correct for 44 and need a proper WNG CP gear box. Willing to negotiate to make things happen. Am in UK til early May and have the barrel with me.
Wade

GuyH

Re: Trade Hartley Alloy Barrel for WNG CP Box

Postby GuyH » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Wade, I'm not sure if the box I have is for a W/NG but I believe it's from a WD machine. Whether it was mounted on an Ariel or Matchless I don't know. The number stamped into the top is: X1 (could be XI) CPBL 35593. I've posted a photo of it and I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will be able to confirm which machine it's for. The box will need some repair work: the mount has been welded and the clutch arm pivot mount is broken. The gears all turn OK though and the box appears to be complete. If you're interested please PM me.
Attachments
Burman CP Gearbox 003.JPG
1939 600 OHV 4F, 1956 MKII Square Four, a Healey, 1939 OH 250, 1939 OG 250 plus a couple of OG250 projects, 1920 Ariel V twin project and a variety of lesser makes

fpassmore

Postby fpassmore » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Not a Burman expert but I have reference in my pre-war Burman manuals to the CPBL box being a competition wide-ratio box. CP for pivotal fixing middle-weight, then B for balloon tire chainlines, then L for wide ratio is all I can interpret from my Matchless manual.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, too many other BSA's, Norton's, Triumph's, Ducati's and Japanese to list. Just crazed is all my problem is.

chris.vredenbregt

Postby chris.vredenbregt » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:15 pm

I think BL means Bottom Low for trial??? low topspeed gearbox
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV

GuyH

Postby GuyH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks for the information folks. The Trials and competition theories makes sense as this box came with a load of spares when I bought two 1939 Ariel 250s - one OG and one OH. The OH was a Hartley engined trials machine last used in the late 40s/early 50s and the OG was mid way through a conversion to trials spec when they were both put away for the next 55 years. Although the OH and OG takes the lightweight Burman HP box they are fragile apparently so perhaps this was intended to go into one of the bikes?
1939 600 OHV 4F, 1956 MKII Square Four, a Healey, 1939 OH 250, 1939 OG 250 plus a couple of OG250 projects, 1920 Ariel V twin project and a variety of lesser makes

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Ha! There has] to be one WNG CP box available for some kind of deal. I have 6 weeks left before returning to Vancouver and I want to start putting a machine together right away. I anyone has one and is willing to part with it, please be in touch.
Thanks,
Wade

keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith.hodgenia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Wade, have you checked with Neil Baker the club gearbox guy I don't know if he reads this forum regularly, his details are in the members area. Keith.

dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby dave.owen » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Wade , I'm very interested and have a WNG box with levers spare in the garage, end cover is off but complete.Never had it apart but gears select

Dave
PM me or contact number in Cheval page 2 (after 7pm )please
AOMCC Treasurer

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks Kieth, I did go that route. Dave I will call you tonight.

ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby ian.scott » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm

GuyH wrote:Hi Wade, I'm not sure if the box I have is for a W/NG but I believe it's from a WD machine. Whether it was mounted on an Ariel or Matchless I don't know. The number stamped into the top is: X1 (could be XI) CPBL 35593. I've posted a photo of it and I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will be able to confirm which machine it's for. The box will need some repair work: the mount has been welded and the clutch arm pivot mount is broken. The gears all turn OK though and the box appears to be complete. If you're interested please PM me.

I thought it was only the WD Ariel CP that had no speedo drive as its from the front wheel on W/NG.
I always used a W/NG box on my trialler even with the 500 motor as it was lighter and the wide ratios gave a good trials bottom gear ,yet top gear wasn't too low for the road between sections.

Ian

Return to “For sale/wanted - Parts”