J.A.P. V twin for speed

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

J.A.P. V twin for speed

Postby adrie.degraaff » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:39 am

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/ond ... ousPage=lr

If you want some speed from your Ariel this is the thing, I don't know if the crank is included.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 am

Not expensive for what you get. It needs to fit a project you have in mind . I thought a 1,000 cc JAP was a KTOR .Nev

adrie.degraaff

Re: J.A.P. V twin for speed

Postby adrie.degraaff » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Jtor is 1150cc.

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Bob.Murphy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:06 pm

I have to do it . . . I think this is just STUNNING :o :o

Now, would that be better in an Ariel frame ???????

(Probably not 8-) ).

I spotted this on the "BT-H Components" website - I hope they don't mind me sharing it with you.

(Guess who has an old BT-H Magneto for his 1930 Panther that needs refurbishing :lol: ).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

john.mitchell

Postby john.mitchell » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:42 pm

This photo was taken when I was about 17. I am second from the left on a 1935 Ariel 350. But the reason for showing it is that the guy next to me on the W/NG, is Haydn Williams. His dad was Frank Williams of Brooklands fame, who built a JTOR into a featherbed frame in the early 50s and sprinted it around Britain. When he retired Haydn took it over and sprinted and raced it around UK and the Continent. I saw the bike sold (in large lumps) at a Bonhams Auction, I think about 2 years ago. A couple of years after this Haydn was instrumental in getting his Dad to sell me his 500c Hartley Ariel which he had also sprinted ... but that is another story.

The picture is taken just in front of Rottingdean primary school which we both attended. And living a couple of doors up the road on the left was a very famous 1930s tuner whose name escapes at the moment.
Attachments
JM.jpg
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:59 am

I don't know that I would trust that model of Norton frame with that much power. They broke seat down tubes with the normal engine. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but Gee, could the exhaust system be any uglier? Nev

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:11 am

nevhunter wrote:could the exhaust system be any uglier?

We all made ugly things in the past, it's the learning proses.

I am triing to get more info on the engine but the (owner?) is over the border an not so informative.
There are holes not drilled yet so could it be a total copy?

brenton.roy

Re:

Postby brenton.roy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:39 am

john.mitchell wrote:A couple of years after this Haydn was instrumental in getting his Dad to sell me his 500c Hartley Ariel which he had also sprinted ... but that is another story.

Yep... Waiting...

Great photo Editor John. Got any more?
I'm always impressed by the amount of wear people got from tyres (W/NG) before they replaced them. Were the leg shields on your bike made from wood? And what's the story with the windscreen on the lambretta! No doubt awesome with a tail wind..
What was a '35 NG like to ride?
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:28 am

First bike I ever put on the road Brenton. Nothing wrong with it at all but I put a post war head on it which made it like a 1939 model Typical rigid frame . Anything over about 45 MPh and the back wheel got flats on it from sharp cornered potholes in tar roads. Nothing has changed today. Nev

Bob.Murphy

Re: Re:

Postby Bob.Murphy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:10 pm

brenton.roy wrote: And what's the story with the windscreen on the lambretta! No doubt awesome with a tail wind..

Brenton

:lol: :lol:

When I left school and started work my folks bought me a "Capri 80" scooter. It has a little Garelli two stroke with a three speed unit gearbox and exposed chain drive (not a sealed power unit like a Lambretta or a Vespa).

It had a similar enormous screen. Top speed about 50mph but at least I could ride it in a suit with normal shoes on my 25 mile daily commute to/from Taunton from darkest Somerset :D .

This would be in 1964, I think. Jeeeeeze I do look a Prat :oops:

When I passed my bike test I bought a 1959 AJS 350 (Model 16 heavyweight) . . . And the rest is history.

My sister inherited the scooter and also used it for work (Taunton again).

It looks a lot better without the screen ;) (picture taken in our driveway - hence the lack of helmet).

Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread 8-) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Return to “For sale/wanted - Parts”