Lucas MO1L Magneto Face Cam Plate Wanted.

keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Lucas MO1L Magneto Face Cam Plate Wanted.

Postby keith.mettam » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Points face type cam plate wanted for tight wire advance Lucas MO1L magneto. This is the circular disc that operates the points via a small tappet which runs on the face of this disc. It is to suit an Ariel singles mag with the manual advance/retard cable entering the points housing on the right hand side (as viewed from the points end of the mag), i.e. tight wire advance unit. I have the housing I just require the cam face plate if anybody has one amongst their spares they are willing to sell. Thanks in anticipation, Keith Mettam.

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Lucas MO1L Magneto Face Cam Plate Wanted.

Postby nevhunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:15 am

There are differences. Try to photo one of the correct ones installed, or buy it from someone familiar with them. The variations concern direction of rotation and whether the cable is at an angle or vertical and some are twins. I've looked on the net but can't find the part number for that particular part Better to have an image of what you are looking for. Nev

keith.mettam

Postby keith.mettam » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:32 am

Thanks Nev. I don't have an image of one. I presently have a working anti-clockwise, angled left side cable entry (loose wire advanced) MO1 mag. I also cannot find a part number for the cam plate I require.The cam plate on my current magneto has an 'L' stamped on it. Maybe for 'left' cable entry or perhaps 'loose-wire' advance. This cam plate doesn't fit the angled, right hand cable entry points housing on an anti-clockwise MO1 mag. so I cannot use it to build a 'correct' late Ariel singles 'tight wire' advanced magneto with.
Regards, Keith

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:21 am

Loose wire advanced is preferred for competition but standard set up is better in case you lend the bike, etc. You have to change the end cover for the correct one as well as the cam. Nothing else is involved.
All exploded images I have examined don't show a part number for the cam. I think it does have "L" but I know I have run out of them myself. You SHOULD be able to get these parts. I got some NOS end covers not long ago. New ones are the best kind as they do get damaged and sometimes warp. If they have been run loose they fret the edge that helps align them in the case also. I'll check on the 'L' mark with my stuff. Nev

RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby RTichard Woolnough » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:36 am

I changed my tight wire advance to slack on the Goldstar to coincide with my G80cs, it was not as straightforward as it looked, as Nev says you need a new end cover and cam, however cams come in differing thicknesses and mine would not sit behind the retainer, in addition to the new end cover if you convert in the manner I did you will need a new cap retaining tab, there is only one bolt that you can affix it to and when changing to slack wire the original is not long enough.
Tony Cooper is the chap to speak to and you will get it all correct if you do so. The W/NG is tight wire and following my experiences with the Goldie it will remain so!.kind regards

pete.collings

Postby pete.collings » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Having discussed camrings with Keith via email, I thought I would post pictures of three different types of face type camrings, to give an idea of where the slots for the A/R plungers are situated..

The one on the bottom left is stamped L, and is what I would use with a tight wire advance, the bottom right is a R ring (although there is no R stamped on it), and for information the top ring is used (I believe) in Lucas N1 magnetos. So be careful when looking for a L stamped ring that you get the right type.

As advised above, some camrings are thicker than others, the end plate is deeper to accomodate this. However, I believe Lucas supplied a star shaped washer to fit below the thinner type of camring, for use with the deeper end plate. My Lucas catalogue show a picture of this, but the part number label is ambiguous. I have never seen one, perhaps someone who has can comment.
If you are lucky enough to find a original camplate, the Lucas reference is 464056 for anti-clock rotation (as Ariels), and 493180 for clockwise rotation. The picure in the Lucas catalogue seems to have more slots cut that the one I believe is a R type.
Just to confuse matters, I also have a face cam ring with no provision for movement (a small cutout at the bottom where the flux adjuster screw is situated, presumably this was for use with a auto advance mechanism, or was for a stationary engine magneto.
Attachments
MO1CamringsFront.JPG
Front side of camrings
MO1camringsBack.JPG
Back side of camrings

keith.mettam

Postby keith.mettam » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks for the images and info Pete,
All the best,
Keith.

pete.collings

Postby pete.collings » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:48 pm

As an addition to the above photos, I have now found a camplate stamped with a R, and it has two cutaways on the right hand side, in effect the mirror image of the L stamped camplate.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 pm

"L" and "R" are obvious. Then you have angled and vertical cable entry. Angled is in the magdyno's, vertical in the magneto by itself. The elongated slot at the bottom (and sometimes the top) is where the magneto timing is changed by cable action. Where there's no movement permitted, It's a centrifugal advance or a speedway installation. There's also a few twins like the pre war Triumphs. The flat cam came out in 1937. Nev

Return to “For sale/wanted - Parts”