The Arrow has landed.

iansoady

The Arrow has landed.

Postby iansoady » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

It arrived on Wednesday courtesy of a nice chap in a white van. So I've been getting to grips with the bike, which in general is in good fettle and seems to have been cared for. I think it's going to make for a pleasant machine and look forward to having it up and running.

But I can't understand how people can ride around with the wrong brake & clutch levers (making operation much heavier than it needs to be), incorrectly routed control cables compounding that error, cables cobbled together with blue crimp-on connectors (my pet hate), odd metric bolts here & there instead of the correct UNF ones which are very easily available.........

All details which a weekend in the garage and a few quid can easily put right (and which task I am getting stuck into).

Ah well, it all makes work for the (ex-)working man to do.
Ian
1962 Ariel Arrow
1931 Sunbeam Model 10 (for the moment)
1992 Honda CB400 Super Four ("modern" bike)

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: The Arrow has landed.

Postby simon.holyfield » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

Those are the sort of easy jobs that make it your own. My Italian W/NG is full of metric bolts too.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four, Masquerading D3 Bantam, '58 Huntmaster, '42 W/NG, http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

iansoady

Postby iansoady » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Yes, the trouble is once it's apart it's so easy to find all those other "little" jobs to do.

There's a very detailed story of an Arrow restoration which I was enjoying until the chap started using metric bolts everywhere as if it was normal. He even retapped the holes in the crankcase that take the prop stand with a metric thread! A real shame as otherwise he seemed to have done an excellent job. One day someone will buy it and (a) wonder why their spanners don't fit and (b) end up ruining that thread in the crankcase (and probably others).

http://60sclassicmotorbikes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/
Ian
1962 Ariel Arrow
1931 Sunbeam Model 10 (for the moment)
1992 Honda CB400 Super Four ("modern" bike)

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Yes I've seen that one. Disappointing how people do that - there's no need. You can even buy the right size bolts on eBay, in stainless if you want. They look a bit odd with the letters on the heads though.

I get most of my fasteners from Clay Jones at Acme Stainless, though more recently I am trying to use original finishes as well. I'm enjoying the oily-rag nature of the W/NG rebuild for that.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four, Masquerading D3 Bantam, '58 Huntmaster, '42 W/NG, http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Return to “Two stroke”