1962 Arrow Engine rebuild

White.John.A
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:38 am
Location: Sittingbourne kent
Contact:

Re: 1962 Arrow Engine rebuild

Postby White.John.A » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi Brian,
On Saturday I went to the workshop full of renewed enthusiasm. I had decided that I would rebuild the bike according to the hand book. I fitted the shafts together, made sure that the flywheel cleared the casing, and torqued up the two halves. No problem. Checked the run out. 0.035". I decided that drastic action was required. I fitted a suitable available length of pipe, got my club hammer, and wacked the end of the pipe. Run out down to 0.015". I continued to gently work on the shaft in the same manner until after an hour or so it was running at 0.001". Great. So I have now started to put the bike back together. The engine is now back in the frame and the rear wheel back on. It now looks like a bike again. Will it start when I have finished putting it together. I have no idea. I didn't work out why it didn't go in the first place. I have now renewed all major parts fitted them according to the hand book. It has been a steep learning curve for me, which I hope will now bear fruit. And strangely enough as I get more tools and pullers etc to make taking it apart easier, I have quite enjoyed it.

Once again thank you for you help and advice. It is very much appreciated
Regards,
John

iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:54 am
Contact:

Re: 1962 Arrow Engine rebuild

Postby iansoady » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:20 am

Well done.

I always think if I'm not enjoying it I probably shouldn't be doing it. Occasionally I'll go into the garage, pick up a spanner then realise I'm not in the right frame of mind and leave it alone. Anything else almost certainly leads to grief.....
Ian
1962 Ariel Arrow
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50

White.John.A
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:38 am
Location: Sittingbourne kent
Contact:

Re: 1962 Arrow Engine rebuild

Postby White.John.A » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Ian,
I agree 100%

bh.sprint
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:21 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: 1962 Arrow Engine rebuild

Postby bh.sprint » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Hello John,

It's good to hear that the engine has gone back together OK. Having the correct tools does help make it easier and more enjoyable to work on the engine.
I hope the engine starts when you get to that point in the rebuild, two stroke engines are simple but sometimes they like to make life difficult for the restorer.

Regards Brian H.

User avatar
Jerry.Lunt
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:18 pm
Location: Gretton, Northants
Contact:

Re: 1962 Arrow Engine rebuild

Postby Jerry.Lunt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Even though a bit late and no further input from John White, I would like to comment here having recently had similar difficulty.

It is absolutely essential to have the N/S cover fitted first to position the N/S crank half: that is having its axis of rotation correct as provided by the fixed bearings in the centre and end cover. If you leave this N/S end cover off and then fit the O/S crank half and align its O/S shaft run-out to 0.001" there is nothing to say that the N/S crank centreline is correct as the N/S end is floating. Putting the N/S end cover on then will move the O/S shaft out of its alignment.

The manual says to fit the crank halves together and adjust the alignment with the O/S end cover OFF. Doing that, I could not get neared than 15 thou run-out, though I did not know to use the mallet to knock it into line.

What I did do was fit both crank halves with the N/S cover bolted up and with the centre bolt pulling the crank halves together but not tight. Then I fit the O/S cover, pull it up using the cover bolts and then loosen the bolts a bit. Then I tightened the centre bolt to 20ft.lb and checked the run-out, adjusted the run-out as necessary, tightened to 40ft.lb checked and adjusted again and finally to 60ft.lb. At this point (or maybe before, I don't remember) I found that the crank web was against the crank case preventing rotation. A hefty whack on the end of the crank moved it sideways to a position where there was at least 15 thou clearance all around and then fully tightened the O/S cover bolts. Checking again, I was at about .002 run-out but the un-evenness of the shaft surface at this point was such, I considered this OK. The reason I had to whack the crank across was because the bearing fit on the centre of the crank was tighter than it perhaps should have been and so was not correctly positioned by the N/S end cover. I probably had to tighten the N/S end cover bolts further after this.

Anyway, my engine runs nicely.
Jerry
1960 Ariel Leader - Up and running again.
Series 2 Jaguar E-Type Coupe up and running beautifully again.

White.John.A
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:38 am
Location: Sittingbourne kent
Contact:

Re: 1962 Arrow Engine rebuild

Postby White.John.A » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:42 am

I have today finally had the bike running on both cylinders. The first time in 17 years. I did have a problem with getting it started. I traced it down to the electronic ignition. Although It sparked at the right time, it also sparked at other various times. This made the bike run completely erratic, Run. Or not run or start at all. I finally gave up and put back the points. There is still plenty to do to to get the bike on the road, but it was good to hear that old smoky engine fire up at last.
JOHN


Return to “Two stroke”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest