Arrow / Leader frame

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Arrow / Leader frame

Postby TonyBaxter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi all, well as helping a friend with his W/NG, I now found myself frequenting the two stroke forum as I have purchased an Arrow. Well, sort of.
It has been owned since 1970 by a friend who is now moving house, and I have bought the bike from him. He only rode the bike a little, and therefore has not been on the road since '71.
It looks like a Golden Arrow, (colour wise), but the engine has a 'T' suffix which makes that at least a late Arrow. It came with an old green log book, which has that 'T' number on it, so all is good for re-registering it with the original number.
Well, actually it gets more confusing.The chassis plate is in a terrible state, and at first I could only make out one digit, pretty much in the middle, and it's a '5'.
The engine number and matching number on the log book do not contain a '5' anywhere.
On even closer inspection, I am 95% sure the suffix is just about legible on the plate, and it seems to be an 'A'. That would make it an early Leader !
I think to decide what the bike started out as, I should see if there are remnants of indicator wiring, grey paint under the white, and what size the petrol tank is.
As far as registering it, I would like to keep the original number, so have obtained a new chassis plate, (often I believe they are missing), and will stamp it to match the engine and log book.
But I would be interested in working out what the bike started life as. Are the basic frames of the Arrow and Leader identical ? I do have some Leader bodywork, so assume it would not be too difficult to turn it into a Leader in the future.
Any thoughts ?
Cheers, Tony.

iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Arrow / Leader frame

Postby iansoady » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:22 pm

My "Arrow" in fact started out as a Leader as it has, like yours, an "A" suffix. It also started out with a different engine (also "A" suffix) to the one it has now although when the change was made I have no idea.

I found scrubbing the chassis plate with a scotchbrite pad then taking a photo at an angle helped to show up the numbers.
Ian
1962 Ariel Arrow
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Cheers, Ian, I'll try that. Though I won't be using the plate for the DVLA, that would mean an age-related plate.

Roger James
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Roger James » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Tony,
If you want me to check any frame or engine numbers either off the old green log book, the engine or the plate on the frame I will check them in the Ariel Factory Despatch records and hopefully if I can read the handwriting of these records confirm for you what they started out as espeically if different numbers, the dealer it was sent to and date of despatch from the factory. This service is free but I cannot help you with applying to DVLA for a V5c registration document, for that you would have to go through the clubs Machine Registrar.
If you want to keep the information private so it is not posted on the forum for all to see then send me a 'Private Message' and I will reply to that.
Regards Roger

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks Roger, will do,
cheers, Tony.

Roger James

Postby Roger James » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Noted Tony, have carried out the checks and replied via a Private Message. Regards Roger

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Great info Roger, many thanks (top man !). Interesting, the first stamp in the green book, from '69, is Birkenhead. Not too far from it's registration district.
Cheers, will keep you all posted.

Return to “Two stroke”