ignition coils

ken-drink

ignition coils

Postby ken-drink » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:23 pm

bought a pair of new 12v coils, suposed to be real lucas stuff, but i now discover they are made by wassell and they are crap, took bike out for a short test run did about 10 miles to my mates house and it became a 125 single for the ride home, no spark from one coil done less than 50 miles since i fitted them, so now looking for a good alternitive , possibly bosch stuff if anyone knows of a decent coil that is reliable please let me know.

Ken
Last edited by ken-drink on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

alanbrown

Re: ignition coils

Postby alanbrown » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi Ken, I have just fitted two new 12 volt coils to
My Ariel arrow project. I chose the PVL 12 volt coil, commonly fitted to MZ 250 ETZ bikes.The Cool is marked PVL and have a part no101220. This is the 12 volt coil but I think you can get a 6 volt version.
I have used these coils on various bikes over the years, with total reliability.
Got mine on ebay, but make sure you see a photo of the label on the coil.

Alan

AndyEames

Postby AndyEames » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:07 pm

I had a similar problem a good few years ago. Replaced the coil with an Emgo one. Also of eastern provenance. But the faulty coil was bugging me for a long time afterwards. As I hadn't binned it, I decided to have a squint at it. Where the primary circuit terminal screws come out of the plastic coil top, they have a small drilling down them. The copper wire comes up through the drilling and is soldered. Well, it must have been near the end of the shift for the chap who made mine 'cos he'd done a runner before the solder had taken. One blob of solder later and I now have a spare coil. Worth a look Ken. PVL make good coils but they are more expensive. Much like the old Bosch ones.But if you don't break down its money well spent.

alanbrown

Postby alanbrown » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:11 pm

633E1522-E018-4205-8CD7-D0507E6BCD98.jpeg

Ivor Collins

Postby Ivor Collins » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:05 am

Interesting feedback on the current coil (non) quality, in my limited experience the original coils and condensers seem to just go on and on (so far)
I appreciate it would look wrong but assume that the COP technology is inappropriate for our machines?
Alternatively, does anyone know of a modern twin coil pack to do the job or are we better to just simplify to a wasted spark system?

Regards
Ivor

AndyEames

Postby AndyEames » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:23 pm

I understand that it is the primary winding resistance that is the important factor. As long as that is ok, then with our machines and the coils hidden inside the frame we could use anything. Unless one is a stickler for originality. Personally I prefer reliability over originality. I have an aftermarket Honda CB250 coil on my DKW Rotary working with Newtronic (was Piranha) optically triggered ignition unit. It works reliably, and thats what I'm after, as I'm sure most of us are.

ken-drink

Postby ken-drink » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 pm

just bought one of these to try, looks ok and it is small so easy to fit, it also has a screwed connector with a sealing washer for the ht lead.
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... tegory/198
going to get it fitted and will let you know how it goes.

Ken

ken-drink

Postby ken-drink » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:58 pm

well so far new coil is working ok, started easily on both pots so i might buy another one and have a pair of the same colis, not going to bother with crap lucas stuff in future.

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:33 am

ken-drink wrote: not going to bother with crap lucas stuff in future.

On "The Grand Tour" yesterday the guys were in America with Jaguars . . .

Richard Hammond was broken down at the side of the road when a US Redneck pulls up in a large pick-up - laughing at him. The American then says . .

"Why do the British drink warm beer ? . . . Because Joe Lucas makes refrigerators".

and drives off!

The 'Prince of Darkness' has a world-wide reputation :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

ken-drink

Postby ken-drink » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 am

trouble is althought it has the lucas name on it, it is not lucas any more, made somewhere in the far east. no longer made in the UK

Ken

Return to “Two stroke”