My latest project

lawriewhite

My latest project

Postby lawriewhite » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 am

Good morning guys ( & gals ) A newbie to this forum, but not restos, I've done many.

Just collected a 60-ish Leader, no numbers or paperwork, but it has matching engine & frame numbers, no screen or fittings & I wouldn't
buy it until I knew a screen was available, as it will look naff without!!
It will be a total nut & bolt restoration.
No rust as such anywhere, but the wheels are shot, new rims & spokes already ordered, no chain cases or panniers, so I'll have to make them.
Started 3rd kick & seems to run ok, silencers shabby but they might re-chrome, I wasn't expecting to see a plywood seat-base & thought a previous has cobbled it up, but I see they ARE like that!!
The point-cover is missing so I will need to make one of those as well
Initial findings are that its 95% there, only 1 x 3/8 x 24 screw holding each side-panel !! All in all, it seems a nice project, & there will probably
be a few questions from you experts out there, but here's one to be going on with, I found this chrome-tube with a 'handle' about 220mm long
x 12mm dia, in the frame-tube under the seat, I assumed it was a seat-release like my Bonnie, but no, it has a couple of wire 'loops' at the end,
& I can't imagine what this thing is, & I suspect i'm about to be bombarded with the answer!! :o
Tube.jpg

AndyEames

Re: My latest project

Postby AndyEames » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Somebody will jump on me if I am wrong, but isn't a lifting handle to help get it onto the main stand.

ian williams

Postby ian williams » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 am

yes its the lifting handle, goes into the tube right next to where you have it laying .
2 tabs just under the star shaped end that twist and lock it into the "keyhole.
will also be sprung loaded so it pops out a bit when you release it .

bike looks really clean to me , one to ride as is , mine is an original 58 leader and i ride in unrestored condition albeit is not shiny and pretty in that way .

roger james "jess" can look through the records for you to tell you what factory despatch records say about its numbers , for date and where it went to and what colour it originally was if it happens to be different .

try joining the yahoo leader/arrow group , it might take a while as the site plays up , or otherwise go via the facebook page as half of the regulars are on there also and its easier to get in touch with who you need to .

nice to see another leader coming back to the roads
ian

lawriewhite

Postby lawriewhite » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:52 am

Many thanks for quick replies, & of course, its blindingly obvious now I know!! I'll have a go at pulling the wire loops in the end, its probably the
release-spring.

DavidSage

Postby DavidSage » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Gentlemen,

Sorry to use the above subject but I am trying to contact Roger. I have left a message for him on the private messages system.

Hopefully, he will reply to this note.

Once again apologies for this.

Regards,

David Sage

bh.sprint
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bh.sprint » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 pm

These are the bits ( just one long tube) which make up the lifting handle assembly , just need a split pin to hold the long wire in place in the top pressing tube.

Brian H.
Attachments
IMG_0607.JPG

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby simon.holyfield » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 pm

So how does it work, as someone who hasn't bought a Leader yet?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four, '58 Huntmaster, '42 W/NG, http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

lawriewhite

Postby lawriewhite » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Many thanks for the photo, not sure how or what that long wire bit works though!!
I managed to source a new-old-stock neutral-switch for the gearbox on e-bay today, & its gone straight in!!
I'm assuming the switch contacts something already in the gearbox, or do I have to 'do' stuff in there as well??
New stainless rims also came, so I set about pulling the 1st hub out, nipples rusted solid so they where subjected to a 'slight' seeing to, to get at the hub, & i'll blast it tomorrow.
Thanks to Roger, I now know the bike is a 1962 & originally Ivory & black & was sold in Hazel Grove, bog standard, no extras, but it will have soon.

A new pair of Armour silencers came as well, but the studding at the exit-end was too short for the acorn-nuts to fit so I had to re-adjust it all & pull
out an extra 20mm to allow it all to work, OK now, & they are packed away again!
Attachments
Neutral-Switch.jpg
Wheel-1.jpg

bh.sprint
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bh.sprint » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello,

Attached the lifting handle assembly, ready to go into the top pressing tube and be secured with a split pin. Some early models had a different long spring with prongs not eye-lets but I've heard of them coming loose.

Brian H.
Attachments
IMG_0610.JPG

lawriewhite

Postby lawriewhite » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:38 pm

Thats great, I understand it now, thanks, an easy fix.

Return to “Two stroke”