Wiring Diagram

roy.brown

Wiring Diagram

Postby roy.brown » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi all - I’m trying to put together a wiring diagram for my pals ‘65 Arrow restoration (please see picture). He’s converted to 12v negative earth, fitted a Wassell regulator/rectifier, swopped the 6v coils for 12v ones and retained the contact breakers. Does my wiring look right or what corrections are required. Thanks for any help. Roy
Attachments
A4BBC771-3A86-419A-AEDD-747956059FAB.jpeg

bh.sprint
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Wiring Diagram

Postby bh.sprint » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Hello Roy,

I've just been looking at the wiring, your going for the negative earth system/connections, it makes it easier to add modern items.

The connections from the alternator to the rectifier/reg look OK to give full out put all the time.

The connections from the rec/reg. to the earth and ammeter look OK.

And the connections at the other side ie. contact breakers look OK apart from the Black/white wire which goes back to the ignition switch ( 15 ), I know this is as the original wiring but I don't know if it will operate with the Wassel rec/reg. I think this is for the emergency start .

I also don't know if the connection between the light switch and ignition switch is needed, it may be OK . I've added a Boyer ignition to my Leader with the Boyer power box and retained the original wiring and apart from connecting the two units into the wiring , the connections are as standard and it works OK.

I've not checked the lighting switch/components wiring but if its as per the original apart from the negative earth it should be OK. I've done exactly the same on my 270 Leader -- neg earth but the same layout and it's OK.

Brian H. PS I've come across alternators with wires which have been altered re colour of wires, which can cause problems until you find out which is which. It may be best to get someone elses comments on the set up/wiring.

roy.brown

Postby roy.brown » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Thanks Brian. Very useful observations. This should give us a good starting point.
Roy

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 pm

If you connect the two alternator wires to gather for a full 12volt doesn't that render the 'emergency' start facility irrelevant if not in fact inoperable?

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Sorry, together not to gather!

roy.brown

Postby roy.brown » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:41 am

Hi Tony, I believe you’re correct. Supports Brian’s comment also.
Thanks
Roy

bh.sprint
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bh.sprint » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi,

I've just found a Lucas booklet which came with the Leader when new and it says when using the higher out put from the alternator the emergency start facility may be adversely affected.
The Boyer power box on my Leader has an emergency start facility, I've found this very useful at times.

On the other Leader I've used a higher out put alternator which easily powers a 55/60 watt head light+ all the other electrical bits.

Brian H.

roy.brown

Postby roy.brown » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks for your valuable help. Roy

Return to “Two stroke”