MK 2 Ariel Leader

MarkGiblin

Re: MK 2 Ariel Leader

Postby MarkGiblin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:37 pm

Looking good Brian, any idea what bike the longer con rods come from?

Regards,
Mark

bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby bh.sprint » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi Mark,

The 110 m/m rod was obtained from Grampion Motors in Liverpool ; Ron Philips of Fahron Engineering got hold of them and did all the assembly work. Looking at the catalogue, they are down as TS 185 , which could be from a Honda.
The longer rod makes a small difference in the relationship between the crank rotation and the piston position but only by .004'' at the most.

Brian.H. Attached the cylinder with the extra transfer port(s)
Attachments
DSC02527.JPG

keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith.hodgenia » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:22 pm

i think TS185 was a Suzuki single cylinder trail bike.

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks Keith,

The catalogue had no information about what bike it was from. I'll note this down for future ref.

Brian.H.

fpassmore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby fpassmore » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Yes, TS185 is Suzuki and this conrod was also used on TS125 as well as I just put a new set in mine.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, too many other BSA's, Norton's, Triumph's, Ducati's and Japanese to list. Just crazed is all my problem is.

Roger James

Postby Roger James » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:48 pm

For those interested in what has now more or less universally become known as the Ariel Leader MK2 (although never officially given this reference name by its creator Ariel Design Draughtsman Roger Barlow in 1964) here are some pictures of a present day MK2 creation carried out by Eddie Buck of Gilberdyke, East Yorkshire, sadly Eddie passed away a few weeks ago and never actually had the opportunity to ride the machine as he became wheelchair bound due to M.N.D. The MK2 was reluctantly sold by Eddie last year but he kept his show winning Super Sports Arrow and Standard Arrow the latter being fully restored earlier this year by a friend so that Eddie could see it at its best. Eddie a true lifelong enthusiast of the marque is sadly missed by many Arrow/Leader enthusiasts who knew him.
During construction of the MK2 Eddie chose to fit the Avon Avonaire fairing that was popular back in the day and fitted to mainly to Arrows but also fitted to the odd Leader over the years Eddie also retained the standard two piece front mudguard rather than the fairing design and single piece front mudguard shown in the original drawing of the MK2 - see previous messages and line drawing of the MK2. Nevertheless Eddie created a truly great looking MK2 that has inspired myself and Brian H to create similar machines.
Roger J..
Attachments
Eddie with his MK2.JPG
Eddie pictured with his beloved MK2 Leader
Eddie s MK2 FNS VIEW.JPG
Eddie s MK2 nearside view
Eddie s MK2 offside view.JPG
Eddie s MK2 Leader offside view

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:29 pm

The MK 2 Leader which Eddie put together is of a very high standard, it was his efforts which spurred me on to get my bike completed. I had been thinking of a different design and engine for the Leader and called it originally a Leader plus. I did the engine first but Eddies interpretation of the MK 2 line drawing showed that using the Avonaire fairing looked OK , so I followed his lead and changed the name to MK 2.
Well done Eddie.

Brian.H.

steve.clarke

Postby steve.clarke » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:45 am

A leader Mk2 ST perhaps, certainly is a stunning piece of work,sad Eddie didn't get to use it,life's a real bummer sometimes.
Interesting post cheers Steve.
57VH 58VH 56HS IN A 58FH Frame, mortal remains of a 57NH 1999 FZS 600

colinmnorfolk

Postby colinmnorfolk » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi Everybody,
This whole "Mk 2" Leader debate is very interesting, especially as at the time most of us only had time for the Arrow ! However I'm sure most of us now recognize that the Leader was way ahead of its time ! Just look at the sales success of modern Japanese similar concepts, although a bigger engine was advisable. A look at the prototype larger capacity Leader in Sammy Miller's museum is most sobering !
Eddie's and Brian's work with the various fairings really transform the Leader and actually force me to reappraise my opinions....as a lifelong Arrow fan !

Regards.
Colin M.

Roger James

A third MK2 project

Postby Roger James » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:54 am

MK2 mudguard in place.JPG
mudguard open out within the forks
The construction of a third MK2 Leader is taking place a rather slow project that
I started about 3 years ago when I mocked up a machine using spare panels and unknown make of fairing that I happened to have hanging in the shed rafters exchanged many years ago for a new pair of Leader con rods when they were plentiful and available for £10 a rod, how times change. I did get as far as cleaning up another frame and bodyshell painting them in top coat paint but the project was then put to one side as I got more interested in my tuned Arrow projects however looking for a project to get stuck into over winter decided to resume work on the MK2 so last week uncovered it and pulled it into open for full access. The mock up has standard two piece front mudguards fitted but I wanted my machine to look more like Ariels drawing of a MK2 that has a one piece mudguard but to achieve this was a stumbling block to progress, I couldn't afford to have a mudguard purpose made to accurately replicate the one in the drawing so looked around for a compromise settling on a BSA Bantam (I think) single piece front mudguard that in most respects is very close and will do to get the project moving in the right direction. Last week I got stuck in working on a spare set of forks deciding to cut off the two front mounting brackets but keeping the two at the rear to use as a bolting on point for the mudguard so hopefully not having to use any additional stays although the rear brackets were cut down in length as they are exposed to side view relying on one bolt either side. In practice with a bolt either side at the rear and one single bolt at the front the mudguard is held very firmly so wont need additional bracing stays. To get to that point work had to be carried out on the mudguard, all six mounting attachment points on the mudguard were cut off flush with the edge of the mudguard itself but leaving the remainder welded to the mudguard unseen on the underside to retain a bit of bracing, it can be a tight fit getting the Bantam mudguard into position within the Ariel forks but with care can be achieved without eventually damaging the paintwork during final assembly process however something else had to be considered and taken into consideration, the Bantam mudguard is narrower than the standard Ariel mudguard and during suspension travel the tyre could come close to the edges of the single piece mudguard so I felt it necessary to achieve as much width as possible to allow for this and used a car scissor jack to push the edges of the mudguard out to match the profile of the forks and remaining section of rear bracket, this job also helps with the general appearance of the mudguard as seen from the outside looking like it was made to fit the Leader forks. The other aspect of this single front mudguard that I'm not totally happy with is the gap between tyre and underside of mudguard as you can see in the photograph, its all too obvious at the moment but its needed as mentioned to accommodate the suspension travel although at the moment there is no weight on the suspension making it all the more obvious, when there is weight on the suspension and of course the fairing is in place I really don't think it will be so obvious and will look o.k. I've attached some photographs taken as I've carried out various aspects of this work that hopefully will help to illustrate the descriptive part of the work. As and when I make progress I'll post updates. Happy Spannering..
Roger J...
Attachments
MK2 being removed from shed.JPG
Mock up being retrieved from bottom shed for work
mk2 mudguard black.JPG
Trial fit of Bantam mudguard before cutting off the bracket lugs
MK2 with scissor jack.JPG
Car scissor jack used to shape mudguard
MK2 mudguard in forks with wheel.JPG
Mudguard in situ in forks in frame

Return to “Two stroke”