CHECKING THE TIMING-PAZON IGN.

bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

CHECKING THE TIMING-PAZON IGN.

Postby bh.sprint » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:10 pm

I set the ignition timing on the MK 2 Leader which has a Pazon system, using the timing facility built into the unit/system. I used the off side peg in the hole/piston position. The position was checked using a DTI in the plug hole and setting the degree disc when the 2 m/m before TDC was reached, then noting its position on the disc. There is a slight difference between the cylinders and the peg goes into the flywheel at just under 2 m/m BTDC . On checking with a strobe, one cylinder is correct and the other approx 2 degrees retarded, I was surprised how accurate the Pazon timing facility is as long as you allow for the slight difference in the cylinders peg/piston position.
The picture is not very sharp but it does show the relevant bits.
Attachments
IMG_0135.JPG

keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: CHECKING THE TIMING-PAZON IGN.

Postby keith.hodgenia » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:58 am

I wonder how far out it was with the original setup.

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:45 am

Sometimes it's faster when the sparks are uneven, so testride and look at the color of the sparks.

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:58 pm

I've never tried checking with a strobe the original points set-up. One thing which could be done with the original set-up is to alter the timing by varying the gap slightly for each cylinder. When I set the points/timing on my original Leader being very careful to get it as accurate as possible it started and ran very well for about 500 miles and then gradually dropped off as the points or heel became worn. Using the Triumph individually set-able points base plate helps if you are using a points based ignition system, to get the timing and points gap correct.
The MK 2 Leader has a longer con-rod which very slightly alters the position of the piston relative to the flywheel compared with the 107 m/m con-rod, which is why I was keen to use a D T I to verify the position of the piston compared to the degree disc. Its only slight but the longer con-rod has a longer dwell/slow period at TDC and I assume at BDC.

Brian.H.

Return to “Two stroke”