new toy!!!

Roger James
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: new toy!!!

Postby Roger James » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Yes - Brake Re - Line Services Unit C2 West Point Industrial Estate, Penarth Road, Cardiff CF11 8JQ Tel 02920 702900, They operate a very quick turn around service re-lining the brake shoes that you send them.
Give them a ring to discuss what material you want them to fit. (in the past they've fitted 'Woven' material but I found they grabbed on the front wheel especially riding in wet weather, not something you want to experience leaning over on a bend and needing to brake for some reason. I've also had them fit Kevlar material, quite a good brake resulted but found it wore down quite quickly, they no doubt can fit other materials).
In answer to your second question - yes front and rear brake shoes are the same, having said that Ariel fitted Alloy brake shoes to early Leaders both front and back with a fulcrum adjuster, they then introduced Steel brake shoes but later still used the same steel shoes but drilled holes in them for fitting anti squeal springs, obviously if you use Brake Re-Line Services you will get back what you send so not a problem but thought I would mention these differences. (if your brake shoes don't have the anit squeal springs fitted its easy to drill holes in order to fit them.
Photo attachment shows Kevlar and Woven brake shoes relined by Brake Re-Line Services. Roger
Attachments
Brake shoes.JPG

ken-drink

Postby ken-drink » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 pm

many thanks for that, will get the rear ones out and send them off, going to fit a honda front wheel with a tls brake, that should help it stop as at the mo the brakes are dangerous as they do almost nothing.
ken

ken-drink

Postby ken-drink » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:47 pm

got the bike running again after major electrical problems, now 12v , bought a new ignition switch and the socket it plugs into, great fun as the colour of the wiring did not match the old one and that was soldered directly to the switch, so had to put my meter on it to work out what the conections did. did not need them all in the end as i have done away with the coil switching as it is now 12v, seems to be charging ok but not yet given it a decent run, hope to be out on the boxing day run by the locak vmcc. i think i have a worn out carb as well so got to do something about that. lots of fun!!! slowly getting there, fitted the new smaller dia 12v coils which are a bit easier to mount and made my own bracket which just has a 1 bolt fixing to hold it in place, very simple and a lot less fidley than the original mountings.

Ken

RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby RTichard Woolnough » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:36 pm

just picked up on this posting, you know the original reg no so establish the issuing authority and ascertain if they still have records of the original registration, with a certified extract of the original records you may get the original number back. kind regards

ken-drink

Postby ken-drink » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:15 pm

no luck the old records have been destroyed, as have most of the old county records, there are a couple that still have them, but for this one they have been destroyed years ago. so there is nothing to tie the frame no to the registration no so the DVLA won't issue a new log book with the old no, so i have an age related one.

Ken

RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby RTichard Woolnough » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 pm

what a shame, and yes Kent still hold some and the Kithead trust hold some others, how short sighted all the disposal of records was, mind you I 'spect we still do it today. kind regards
as an aside I have a confirmed manufactured AMC machine of 1954 with a confirmed issued reg no 1939 on it, I cannot get to the bottom of how this comes about, 'twasn't common practice to transfer numbers in them there days.

Return to “Two stroke”