Ariel Arrow starting

White.John.A

Re: Ariel Arrow pilot jet

Postby White.John.A » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:25 pm

I have tried to remove the obstruction in the pilot jet. It is very solid. Certainly not just a piece of blockage. I haven’t a drill small enough to drill out the obstruction at the moment. Does anyone know how it works?
JOHN

Roger James
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Ariel Arrow starting

Postby Roger James » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:28 am

John, I've always been led to believe that you should never drill out a blocked jet or poke with a bit of wire as you are likely to cause damage and enlarge the hole, you might clear the blockage but end up with a jet that does not work properly. They should always be blown through with compressed air. If lucky you might be able to clear it after soaking in petrol or other suitable solution, personally I would look for another Pilot Jet that is clear and fit that, there are plenty of them around just make sure you get the right size.

Jess

White.John.A

Postby White.John.A » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi Jess,
I’ve been told not to drill out a jet also. I have sent away to Draganfly for a replacement jet, as Brian checked out the jets he has and found that they had a hole all the way through. I must say the blockage in mine appears to be perminant, and would have to be drilled out. I don’t know how the jet works. So I am finding it difficult to assess whether the jet should have a hole right through or not.
John

Roger James

Postby Roger James » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:53 am

Hi John,
Just confirming what Brian has mentioned, the Pilot jet does have a hole all the way through, it is a very very small hole at the end that screws into the carb block. All being well Draganfly will fix you up with a workable jet.

Jess

White.John.A

Postby White.John.A » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi All,
I would like to tap into your experiences and knowledge again. I have now received my new pilot jet, and as you have all said, there is a hole right through. Once fitted the bike started, and for the first time ran on both cylinders. Great. A last I'm getting some where. Except. Petrol is poring out of the exhaust pipes, every joint. The bike runs very smokealy until at last it seems to flood itself to death. Next day it starts within a few kicks, and the same thing happens. I have taken the carb to pieces and all looks fine. I am considering dropping the needle down a notch.
Has any one had a similar experience?
John

Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:36 pm

I think the needle valve leaks, can you check it out.
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

AndyEames

Postby AndyEames » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:42 pm

I think you are right Eero. Sticking valve/poor seat/punctured float

White.John.A

Postby White.John.A » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 pm

I think you are right. I have checked out the needle valve this afternoon. When the carb is stripped down all seems to work perfectly. When I put it back together and connect it to the fuel. The fuel just pours out everywhere. I will see if I can get replacement parts and see if it solves the problem. As always thanks for your help.
John

AndyEames

Postby AndyEames » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Have you got a float valve with a Viton seat John. I am told that modern fuel attacks the old style ones, although I've yet to suffer myself. But wait ! Is that the sound of dripping 95 octane coming from my garage ?

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:36 pm

You have a Personal Message John

Return to “Two stroke”