Ariel Arrow starting

White.John.A

Re: Ariel Arrow starting

Postby White.John.A » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi Andy,
The valve has a rubbery peice on the end, I don’t know if it’s Vitron. It is about 3 years old, but most of that time it has not been used. Or is this the problem. I am intending to replace the valve, and see if this is the solution.
JOHN

AndyEames

Postby AndyEames » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:30 am

Yes, thats the one. The tips tend to swell with the effects of old age (don't we all !) and modern fuels. Have you got a plastic or brass float ?

White.John.A

Postby White.John.A » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi Andy,
I intend to replace the valve. The float is a brass. I can’t see anything wrong with it, so not sure whether to change it or not.
John

AndyEames

Postby AndyEames » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 pm

If you drop it into some hot water, see if it gives off bubbles, that will indicate fuel vapour escaping from a leak. No bubbles = all ok

ian williams

Postby ian williams » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 am

couple of thoughts .
is the float level right , is it a brass or plastic float , is it adjustable float level or fixed , is the float cracked or damaged making it just sink .
where the needle valve seat and banjo go into the carb they dont have a gasket at that point , it is a face to face contact , but i have seen a few carbs with a gasket there but this will make the float level higher in the carb and possibly just flood all the time if you dont have an adjustable height float .

you can get a "stay up " float kit from amal uk which i think is adjustable for float level .

get some welding nozzle tip cleaners to poke the jets through, they are only about £3 a set . .

my leader was stored in shed for almost 30 years and carb full of treacle , it cleaned up ok but needed 3 times of cleaning the pilot jet before it was starting reliably .
cellulose thinners works well for cleaning the crap out the carbs or for soaking it in .
for some reason my carb had a quite thick cork float bowl gasket on it and when i changed to a new paper gasket it leaked fuel everywhere , then i noticed the bowl cover was not flat but distorted due to it settling down to the thick gasket , so i found another cover which was flat and fixed the problem .

i did find that after cleaning carb and jet out a few times that once it was in a decent state that i didnt need the choke to start engine , and only needed to put a little choke on once the engine had fired .

before when i had first tried starting the bike i used the full choke and think i flooded it most of the time to be honest .

if you have flooded youre engine more than once then you will get fuel down in the exhaust , so what you are seeing is just a result of that and should clear out after a bit .

once youve ran it for while and for a run i expect the smoke will become less , they all smoke when started from cold and need warming up before it reduces .

there is a bit of info in the files section on the yahoo forum about 2 stroke oils and mixes and some other information .

hope you sort it easily
regards
ian

Ivor Collins

Postby Ivor Collins » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:57 am

Hi again John

This problem is certainly giving you a hard time, I have been following the wealth of advice from the forum with interest.

My apologies if this has already been covered somewhere in the preceding 6 pages but I have a couple of simple ideas (simple is what I do best). Have you checked the fuel level in the float chamber? As you may know the 'pip' on the cover indicates the fuel height and you would need to rig up some clear pipe from the jet holder and hold it against the pip as a sight tube.
I know you have been advised to fit the needle valve housing without a sealing washer but also these housings come with a variety of hole diameters for the needle valve to seat against, thus changing the fuel height. A new one just supplied by Drags was found to need 1/2 mm (sorry Keith I mean 0.020") removed from its joint face to put it right because the seating hole was considerably larger in diameter than original! It may be worth a check.

Also, just yesterday I heard of a a pilot jet coming out when its cover nut was removed, and then being put back the same way instead of being screwed into place first. A simple fault but easily missed if you're not familiar with them I suppose.

It sounds to me like you really need to borrow a working carb from someone, remind us where you are and maybe someone can help with that before it's not only your bike with some sort of breakdown!

Regards
Ivor

White.John.A

Postby White.John.A » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi all, In answer to all your help and suggestions.
I have now put the brass float in hot water. No bubbles, So I have concluded that there is nothing wrong with the float. I have also decided to buy a new needle and fit a new set of gaskets.It would be a simple solution before I move on to other possibilities.
The needle seating does not have a gasket, but I noticed on Draganfly that they recommend one with this type of needle. I can try this when it arrives.
I will have to research the “Stay Up Kit” first to see if it’s suitable for my bike. As I have no knowledge of it.
The cover plate could be distorted. I will check it and change it, if I can’t get it to seal properly when re-assembling.
I do believe that the bike floods itself to death when it is started up. I am of the opinion that when I get it on the road it will clear the fuel that is laying in the sump and run better.
I had no idea that the pip in the cover had any significants, or that the needle and surrounding parts had so many variations. Before I get involved in checking out these parts and the fuel level in the bowl and it’s shut off point, I will fit the new needle and move on from there if it doesn’t work.
Thank you all for taking the time to help me. Much appreciated.
JOHN

iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby iansoady » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:26 pm

I made an adaptor out of an old main jet holder to check fuel level (not on the bike as it's impossible (for me) to get to).....

Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50

White.John.A

Postby White.John.A » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the idea and the working photo. I will give it a try.
JOHN

john.bebb

Postby john.bebb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 pm

Hey John - have you got the motor to fire up yet?... have you tried plughole priming?? (yeah I know it's a 2-stroke, but should still work)...
... if the crank seals are shot you'll never get it to run...
Cheers, John

Return to “Two stroke”