AndyEames

Re: close ratio gears

Postby AndyEames » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

Its in the back of our minds John.

DavidSage

Postby DavidSage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:37 pm

bh-sprint,

Many thanks for the information, it has been a long time since I rode an Ariel leader, must have been around1968-69 or there abouts. Yes, I think you are correct these appear to be on the Nova web site. But you have added some more information which I will find most helpful. I bought the Ariel to get to and from work. I was working at TMC (The Telephone manufacturing company) in west Dulwich.

Regards,

David.

DavidSage

Postby DavidSage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:55 pm

John,

Thanks for the information I will take a look and see what I can find regarding the jap boxes.

Plan was to run the bike with standard gearing first time out with a single 1 3/16" carb and expansion chambers and see how I get on. I did find a 5 speed gearbox drawings on the BSA bantam web site which I guess may be another rout to take. I have at the moment my hands full with getting the bike back together, I now have new bearings and seals, new crank shafts, conrods, barrels and heads which need machining, barrels are second hand form Draganfly. Still searching on ebay for rear dampers/shocks.

I have a question regarding the front forks, I have them apart at he moment and wondered if anyone knew what is the correct fork oil to use and how much to use?

Regards,

David.

DavidSage

Postby DavidSage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 pm

John,

I just checked to see if there were any replies to my post on the forum and found that my last post to you did not appear.

I had mentioned that I had planned to run the bike with standard gearing, a 1" 3/16" carb plus expansion chambers and see how I get on.

I did see some years ago whilst hunting through the web a BSA site which had drawings for a five speed box for a bantam. I will certainly take up your suggestion and take a good look at a jap alternative.

I have a question perhaps someone can help with regarding the front dampers/shocks, how much oil and what kind of oil is used in these.

best regards,

David.

AndyEames

Postby AndyEames » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:24 pm

With regards to the rear shocks, I have made an inner subframe for the frame with lugs so that we can fit conventional dampers. Haven't got round to the front ones yet, but they are going to need some attention as the alloy sleeves that fit into the top of the main body are badly worn.We have skimmed a pair of 10:1 heads by 50 thou and recut the squish bands, tried them on my road Arrow and revs that were never there before have appeared !

bh.sprint
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: close ratio gears + re shocks

Postby bh.sprint » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi,

Re the rear shocks - I did a similar thing some years ago on the Arrow so I could fit Hagon units, it worked OK but I might do it slightly differnt now.

Brian H.
Attachments
DSC02291.JPG
DSC01688.JPG

Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Nice pics and good looking bike, thanks for sharing!
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

AndyEames

Postby AndyEames » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Very similar to what we have done Brian. Main difference is that ours will carry a tubular steel subframe to carry the seat and mudguard. Nice work. Like the alloy cups to locate the seat rubbers.

DavidSage

Postby DavidSage » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 am

John,

I have replied twice to you and the posts do not appear.

Regards,

David.

DavidSage

Postby DavidSage » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:42 am

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the input and the very useful information.

Forum system now appears to be working ok.

Also, thank you for the pictures, as all ways they are worth a thousand words.

regards,

David.

Return to “Two stroke”