seat

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: seat

Postby tstewart » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks Brian That's what I needed, I am a lot of fittings short but I get the idea.
Can I ask you about your shocks? Is that something you have made to adapt a non standard shock? Could you tell me what type of shock you used it looks a good mod.

bh.sprint
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bh.sprint » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi,
The shocks are Hagon, I made the fittings to allow them to fit into the Arrow frame, to give a slightly more modern classic look and to give some adjustment of the shocks. If I was making them again I would try and incorporate the fitting into the suspension/frame strengthener.( the thicker bit of steel ).

Brian H.
Attachments
DSC00534.JPG

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 am

Brian the shocks look good and what you say makes sense. I see the sprocket is modified looks a great bike any other photos of the bike I am impressed.

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 am

Here's a nice clear underseat view from an Arrow. Not mine sadly, this was a very helpful chap at GDSF last year, David, I'm sure he won't mind me posting this. I took the picture as my Arrow actually has a Leader frame and I couldn't fathom for the life of me how it was supposed to go together. (I have downsized the picture to make the frame/engine number un-readable).
Attachments
IMG_20170824_142845_resized_20180219_083744210.jpg

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 am

Good photo Tony I can see what I am missing. Thanks I bought this Arrow as a basket case and I am bits missing.

Roger James
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Roger James » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am

Ken,
Here's a photo of what the seat makers R K Leighton can supply, it shows a complete new Arrow seat, some new foams and one with a Red cover for the owner who wanted to fit it himself.
It was a little order put together for fellow enthusiasts, I went down to Leightons and collected them handing the seat/foams out at Stafford Show for those that had ordered them.

Jess
Attachments
new seat and foams.JPG
New Arrow seat and foams

Roger James

Postby Roger James » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 am

If anyone is unsure about wooden seat bases for the Leader and Arrow and wondering whether they are the same the answer is no, although the basic wooden seat base is the same for both machines for use on the Arrow it has four extra holes pre drilled for fitting the rubber bungs plus two larger holes pre drilled that originally had steel cups fitted but these days no one bothers with them, these other two holes line up with the tops of the rear suspension units that tend to stick up a bit too high so Ariel had the holes drilled so the very top slides through the hole that would otherwise rub on the wood base, the other difference is only where the various fittings are screwed onto the underside of the seat, but they are very different between Leader and Arrow. You might also find one or two other smaller holes down the centre of the seat, these are air vent holes, sometimes when you sit on the seat you can hear the air escaping through those holes.
For decades the seat bases were made by a chap called Dennis Barrett, they were of excellent quality as he sourced the timber from Norway, he also marked up the underside of the seat bases where to screw on the various brackets and fittings and I found them to be accurate.
It was a sad day a few years ago when Dennis retired from making seat bases although I believe Draganfly supply them these days but I do not know whether they mark up the bases where to drill holes for the screws for the fittings that makes life a bit easier fitting a new seat for the first time.
In addition to the photograph of the underside of the Arrow seat posted by Tony, I've attached a photograph showing the underside of one of my Arrow seats to show the under seat hinge brackets and the two clips to hold the seat down on the frame, you can also see one of the larger holes mentioned above for the top of the rear suspension unit to slide through.
There is one other difference between the two pictures, I've fitted my hinges the other way round to those in Tony's picture, I find it much easier to fit the seat and the retaining strap by pushing the seat forward onto the hinges and avoids contact with the dummy tank. It also makes it much easier whenever the need arises to remove the seat, just prise the clips off the ends of the hinges and the seat will slide straight off towards the rear again avoiding any contact with the dummy tank.
Oh, yes it is a three handed job fitting a new seat for the first time and it can be a bit fiddly getting the restraining strap started on the hinge with having to get the front hinge started in the hole of the front bracket also, but you'll get there eventually.
Dont want to confuse anyone but, if you are lucky enough to pick up a brand new wooden seat base for your Leader but it has the extra holes drilled into it for fitting to the Arrow and you cannot find anyone to do a swap you can use it on the Leader you'll just end up with some extra air vent holes, and vice versa if you pick up a new Leader seat base you can mark out and drill the extra holes for the rubber bungs and tops of the suspension units.
Jess
Attachments
Arrow under seat fittings 1.JPG
Arrow under seat fittings

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Roger thanks all great information I need to chase up fittings as I have some but basically short.
I am also wondering if I need to make a this ply or cardboard base to figure our positioning etc.
Thanks

bh.sprint
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bh.sprint » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Hello,

The thin card the shape of the seat seems like a good idea to get the fittings in the right place. I've used double sided tape to hold the fittings in place to check before drilling.
Hope the seat fitting goes OK .

Brian H. attached -- having a rest by the Ladybower res.
Attachments
DSC02290.JPG

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Brian looks a nice bike and very sporty.
I see quite a few parts which are non standard but look great.
Thanks for posting.

Return to “Two stroke”