Arrow Battery

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Arrow Battery

Postby tstewart » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:05 pm

I just bought a battery from Wassell, for my Arrow. It was listed as the battery for the Arrow but although it is the right dimensions the vent/breather comes out the top but vents to end The vent hits the bracket where it bolts on to the chassis. Has anyone come across this. Where can I get a battery to fit?
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.

bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Arrow Battery

Postby bh.sprint » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi,

I've just had a look at my Arrow's battery ,the vent tube, to which a piece of plastic tubing fits , is the bit which catches on the bracket. I cut off the tube and lifted the battery by using a bit thicker rubber mat so the vent is just clear of the bracket. It's work OK for over 10 years .
There may be batteries with no/different vent or a vent in a different position ie. the ones with the electrolyte in a matting.

Brian H.

Roger James

Postby Roger James » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Presented with the same problem I decided to cut a slot in the battery carrier for the vent pipe to fit into that also allowed you to retain the drain tube. I also wrote a short article on the subject that appeared in the club magazine, Cheval de Fer a few months ago, see attached word document for the text. Attached photographs show the slot in the battery carrier and shot with battery and vent tube in place.
Jess
Attachments
Roger s Two Stroke Workshop Tip No 3.docx
article workshop tip no 3
(12.89 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
2. battery in holder with slot.JPG
battery in place in holder
1. slot in battery holder bracket.JPG
slot cut in battery for vent tube

Roger James

Postby Roger James » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Further to my previous post, last year, July 2017 I did find for sale on ebay a 6v Tashima make battery 6N11A-4 of the correct size that fits nicely into the Arrow/Leader battery holder bracket that did not have a vent pipe on the side, it had a vent hole in each of the three filler caps on the top of the battery. The battery is still in use and holding its charge well.
Price was £22.99 including postage. The sellers ebay i.d. was allbatteriesuk.
I still have the battery box that shows a picture of a battery on the side that has a side vent, the picture of the battery in the listing did not so just to be sure before I purchased the battery I sent the seller a message to confirm the battery did not have a side vent, it did not.
At the moment I do not have an address for allbatteriesuk and cannot find the same Tashima battery being advertised for sale on ebay at the present time, if I come up with any further information i will add another post on the subject.
Jess
Attachments
6v Tashima battery.JPG
6v Tashima battery no side vent

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:10 am

Thanks for your answers Roger and Brian. That is another problem solved. I am grateful for your help guys.
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.

ken-drink

Postby ken-drink » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:45 pm

converted mine to 12v and there is an Exide battery that fits a treat, part of the classic range if my memory is correct.
Ken

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:27 am

Ken I will probably go there eventually, but I wanted to build it as standard first. This is because it is the first time I have done a project like this. Tiny steps. But I will look at going 12volts path. I have a lot of the parts to build another 2 bikes.

DavidSage

Postby DavidSage » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:22 am

Gentlemen,

Sorry to use the above subject but I am trying to contact Roger. I have left a message for him on the private messages system.

Hopefully, he will reply to this note.

Once again apologies for this.

Regards,

David Sage

ken-drink

Postby ken-drink » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm

i also uprated the alternator as well, its now 120 watt, was struggling to get a charge with main beam on, was showing a small discharge, so i went the hole hog and fitted a new cibie light unit, with LED lights, pazon ignition and coil, bought directly from them, so much better than the old system, you cant tell as it is all hidden, but it works, it now starts and runs well, last major work this winter is to fit a decent front brake as the original is rubbish, got a wheel from a honda with a tls brake, so that should make it a lot better.
Ken

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Good information Ken thanks.

Return to “Two stroke”