ALTERNATIVE ARROW REAR SHOCKS

terrylangley

ALTERNATIVE ARROW REAR SHOCKS

Postby terrylangley » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 pm

I have seen photos of Arrows posted with other than standard rear shocks. The shocks I was planning to fit on my current project have a different action hydraulically. The rod is much easier to push in and out on one than the other. Not sure how much this would affect the ride though if at all.
I realise the top mountings would have to be modified if a different type or make of shock was fitted but can anyone recommend an off the shelf shock absorber and supplier that can be fitted and works on an Arrow.

Thanks for any help offered, Terry

bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: ALTERNATIVE ARROW REAR SHOCKS

Postby bh.sprint » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Evening Terry,

I put these on my Arrow, they are from Hagon, they come in diffrent lenghts so I selected one which gave me the same length as the originals taking into account the top arrangement.
There will be other ways to connect the top fastening to the suspension strengthening plate/frame which may be simpler than my method.

Brian H.
Attachments
DSC01688.JPG

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:35 pm

That looks a worthwhile mod. Can you remember which shocks you bought?
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi,

It's a long time since I fitted the shocks, I'll have to measure the length tomorrow. The shocks are also available with covers, so they look similar to the original ones. I went for the chromed springs to give the bike a late sixties look.

Brian H.
Attachments
DSC00534 cropped.jpg

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 am

I like the springs better than the original shocks, I have original shocks on the Arrow I am currently building. But have the parts to build another Arrow and will try to fit shocks as you have on it. I notice the rear sprocket in modified also. Any details on that you can share.
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.

Roger James

Postby Roger James » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Try 'Falcon' for shock absorbers. Tel 01929 554545 or www.falconshockabsorbers.co.uk they are based in Wareham, Dorset.
Approximately 5 years ago club member Roger Lee visited them to see about having some new rear shock absorbers manufactured to fit the Arrow/Leader, as is usually the case I seem to recall that it would work out cheaper per unit to have a small batch manufactured, unfortunately despite advertising the fact the response was dismal and very disappointing so the batch never got made as far as I am aware but it is possible one or two sets were manufactured, if not its possible that Falcon have kept any measurements or drawings so could resurrect the idea of having a batch made or a pair at a time on demand.
Jess

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Some more information on the rear shocks and sprocket,

The Hagon shocks on the Arrow measure 320 m/m centre to centre. I selected some springs which were just a bit stronger/higher rating than the original ones.

The rear sprocket has a 52 tooth ring to make the gearing correct for the 18'' wheels.
It is fitted to a carrier made from an old worn/damaged Ariel sprocket, the ring locates on a diameter and is held in place with a number of small bolts with nuts.
I tried a 51 tooth ring but it was just a bit too high and the engine would not pull easily with even a slight hill or head wind.

Brian H.

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Plenty to work with.

The standard Arrow has 16" wheels. Brian you have 18" front and rear? What is the advantage?

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi,

The larger wheels give a wider choice of tyres, the 16'' tyres are not available in as many makes as they were a few years ago.
Changing to 18'' alters a lot of things ie. centre stand ,gears and clearances between tyre and mudguards, so it is not an easy process but it did make the fitting of a better/larger front brake a little easier

Brian H.
Attachments
DSC00536 JPEG.jpg

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply I will incorporate the springs into my next arrow, if not this one. The larger wheels I can see the advantage and maybe need to look at changing mud guards. I think I saved a photo from this forum of your bike Brian and as I remember you fitted alloy mud guards which looked good.

Return to “Two stroke”