Page 3 of 6

Re: My latest project

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:10 pm
by Ivor Collins
That chaincase looks pretty good and just like the real thing, I’d like to have a bash myself.
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ivor

Re: My latest project

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:46 pm
by trevor.fleming
Yes the chaincase looks the job. Would like to make one also. Any hints drawings etc

Re: My latest project

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:27 pm
by lawriewhite
Painted up the forks & mainframe a few days ago in the back garden. & today managed to 'marry' the engine & frame, the front forks were on the heavy side so I oiked them up into place with the crane, & then the rear forks took a bit of 'persuading' with a hide mallet! Easier to remove than replace!!
Also, I feel my home-made front stand is too long, but an easy fix once the wheel is on & I can work out a better length.

Re: My latest project

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:36 pm
by lawriewhite
Now my home made lower chain case, attempt No3 will be required as it needs about another 20mm added to the front lower to be able to fit over the rear opening, the 'hump' around the fork leg is a bit out as well ( too low ).

Ho-hum, here we go again!!

Re: My latest project

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 am
by TonyBaxter
Great work :-)

Re: My latest project

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:25 pm
by lawriewhite
Gentlemen, I have created a problem for myself & need your help!!
When I stripped out the coils etc from the 'innards', I never gave much thought to refitting, ( undid all the screws & pulled it all by the wiring ) now I find that I cant get my hands in through that titchy little access hole, am I missing the bleeding obvious, or is there a stupidly easy way that Mr thickko here has missed??
Pics so far.

Re: My latest project

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:56 pm
by Bob.Murphy
Yes - you need a slinky little Geisha Girl to do it for you ( :shock: ).

I remember that problem when a 'friend' dumped a clapped-out old Leader at my parents' house for me to fix :lol: .

I believe its a well-known problem (not that knowing that helps).

Bob.
(No help at all - but Happy New Year)

Re: My latest project

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:15 pm
by lawriewhite
Sorted, I realize that there's no-way my hand is going through that silly little access hole so I did a bit of 'lateral-thinking', got the biggest long series allen hex wrench that would fit in the HT socket of the coil, lowered both coils into the cavity, then holding the long part of the wrench from outside,
I put the short part of the wrench into the coil-socket, then holding the long part of the wrench allowed me to lift & 'jiggle' then hold the coils into position from the outside whilst I fitted the screws.
The terminals etc are near to the hole so they can be connected via long nose pliers. :D

Re: My latest project

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:23 pm
by lawriewhite
Got a lot done today, as a few days ago I managed to strip back the tub to bare metal & acid-etch, then chucked on several coats of 2 pack primer filler, guide-coated it this morning & rubbed it all down, then managed to whack on the 1st base coat of 2 pack colour, just requires another rub down ready for finishing topcoat.

Re: My latest project

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:33 am
by lawriewhite
My '62' Leader didn't have a carb air-tube, & I know that they're available, but at over £30.00 I thought a bit pricey for a little bit of rubber, so since I already have stuff at hand, I thought I'd have a go at making one, if unsuccessful, THEN i'd buy one!!
Had a measure-up, drew it up on 3d cad, then 3d printed it in flexy-rubber, 1st attempt was a cock-up as I miss read my own drawing!!
2nd go was a bit different, I 'tapered' the inlet a bit & was 10mm longer.
Although 'flexible' its still harder than rubber & was a bit awkward to squeeze it it, fitted perfect, & now its on, it ain't coming off in a hurry!!