My latest project

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: My latest project

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Wow, very impressive. I thought that TIG welding was advanced tech (at least it is for me) - I can see that I'm going to have to discover what 3D printing is all about! I didn't know that you could print elastic items like that - what is the filament material you are using?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

lawriewhite

Postby lawriewhite » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:03 am

Thank you sir!

The filament used for this particular part is called TPU Thermo Plastic polyUrathane, & its wonderful stuff, temp, oil resistant as well, I also printed
a nice 'base-ring' for the new ammeter to sit in as well as the long grommet for the the headlight lever.
I have modified some LED indicators to work on 6v so the next prints will be the will be the base-mounts!

alan.moore

Postby alan.moore » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Lawrie,
Which printer are you using?
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

lawriewhite

Postby lawriewhite » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 am

Creality CR-10s ( heavily modified )!!

lawriewhite

Postby lawriewhite » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Made a start with the wiring this morning, hooked up the f & rear brake lights & lights ( well the rear actually ) & all worked ok, so then the ignition.
'Guessed' the timing, threw the switch, got a spark.
Put a small amount of fuel in the tank, no leaks, so fuel on, choke on, & simply pushed down on the kick start whilst on the bench , AND OFF SHE WENT !!
Couldn't believe it, runs lovely. ( New Suzuki pistons & rings )
Thanks to Roger, I made the spacers & fitted the screen using my home made struts & top fixings.
Made some 'Leader' logos & fitted them to the front panel & a pair of cheapo bodged up panniers from e-bay!!
One thing that alarmed me was that a firm push on the brake pedal to check the light resulted in it suddenly giving way & going right down, it let go on the splines ( slipped ) so that will require stripping & sorting!! I might end up fitting & lock-pin.
I also need to design & make some sort of fuel tap extender as the one on the bike wont pass through the side panel.
Attachments
Screen-1.jpg

Roger James
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Roger James » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 am

Well done Lawrie, the restoration is coming along beautifully and I am very impressed with the ever growing list of items you are making from scratch or adapting to fit, in fact, very well done. Jess

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:53 pm

That's a great feeling when something starts for the first time. I felt your excitement

lawriewhite

Postby lawriewhite » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks to all for kind comments, I have another question for the experts, although new Suzuki pistons & rings fitted, I had to remove a very small amount of alloy from the bottom of them as they 'just' touched the flywheels, I also noticed that the piston crowns were a few mm different to original at TDC, it doesn't seem to make much difference to the running, wherever the timing is set, the manual states 20 degrees BTDC.
Do I still fit the lock-pin into the flywheel & set up as per usual? Or should it be advanced/ retarded a bit??

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:05 pm

Hello,

Attached the Suzuki X7 piston beside an Ariel one, you can see the difference in the rear skirt and the slight difference at the top of the piston -- and as you observed the taller dome of the Suzuki.
There are some pistons which have a longer skirt, I think they may be GT250 A but are otherwise very similar in size to the X7s.

If you examine/compare the piston dome angle and the head squish angle it may be that the Suzuki piston keeps some gas at the side of the chamber/head rather than pushing it to the plug area but in practice I don't think it makes much difference. --- there are some very lively Suzuki pistoned bikes around.

I set my ignitions to the 20 degrees BTDC and they run very well on both the Boyer and Pazon systems. The peg in the flywheel is fairly accurate for normal use and checking it with a DTI in the plug hole and a disc to strobe it only reveals a very slight difference with no noticeable affect on the performance.

Brian H.
Attachments
IMG_0441.JPG

lawriewhite

Postby lawriewhite » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 am

Thanks for quick reply, I'll leave it set as 'standard' then. :)

Return to “Two stroke”