arrow timing

bob.keevil

arrow timing

Postby bob.keevil » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Help
The mighty arrow has gone on one side . points ok spark ok condenser seem ok . My timing light is spot on on one side but the other is just to late ,the back plate is at the end of its slider. Any thoughts?

Cheers Bob K

Roger James
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: arrow timing

Postby Roger James » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:46 am

Bob, Suggestions, remove the back plate complete and turn it around and refit to engine, change the wires over, see if that helps to achieve setting the points and timing. You shouldnt really need to do the next suggestion but if all else fails take a small round file and elongate the slots a little so you can rotate the backplate a little further, put the back plate back to how it was if you like swapping the wires back over.
You mention the Condensers and that they seem o.k. in my experience Condensers are not to be trusted especially new condensers that are being manufactured these days, I stick to using old condensers that are maybe 55 - 60 years old, I test them by fitting to an engine one by one and see how they perform, some don't work at all, some appear to work o.k. but then fail when they get hot so its a case of giving them a good test, only do one at a time. Good ones go into a box ready for fitting when required. Don't be put off by the way they look, some of the most grotty condensers have found to work perfectly. they can always be cleaned up with a bit of fine wire wool then polished with autosol to a good shine looking like new.

Condensers can be checked before fitting to see if they are any good but I don't have the electrical equipment or knowledge of how to do the test, perhaps someone else can step forward and explain please.

Jess

roy.craddock

Postby roy.craddock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi Jess, what I’ve done in the past is to get a 6volt Battery and attach some leads with crocodile clips , then charge the condenser up for a few seconds , disconnect the leads then short circuit the condenser and you should get a good healthy discharge spark ,if the condenser is ok ,

roy.craddock

Postby roy.craddock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Probably best way is to charge up condenser then get voltmeter ang check if it stores any voltage and it should gradually reduce voltage until empty, all the condenser does is like a smoothing choke (capacitor) and helps with keeping the points from burning away and excessive sparking

bob.keevil

Postby bob.keevil » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:41 pm

Thanks guys
A near neighbour suggested taking the threads off the set screws as they are to replace ,but that didn't work so turning the back plate sounds good.

Thanks again, I will let you know if it works

Bob K

bob.keevil

Postby bob.keevil » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:15 pm

Hi Roger
Your suggestion of turning the back plate worked. No idea why as it was standard but thanks anyway

Bob K

Return to “Two stroke”