Used Clutch springs

roy.craddock

Used Clutch springs

Postby roy.craddock » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi as anyone got 3 used clutch springs they would exchange for 3 new ones please, hopefully it will solve my stiff clutch problem, as the new ones are very strong, Thanks Regards Roy

will_curry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Used Clutch springs

Postby will_curry » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:04 pm

Hello Roy,
Before you try used springs try putting a 10swg or thereabouts washer over the thread before the
spring cup goes on. This stops the bolt going down quite as far and so softens the spring. Ariel
obviously felt there was a problem at one time as it's mentioned in the workshop manual.

Will.

roy.craddock

Postby roy.craddock » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks Will, Do the washers fit between the springcups and the clutch end plate? Regards Roy

will_curry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby will_curry » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Hello Roy,

The washers want to go onto the studs before the springs, spring cups and nuts. The nut
goes right through the spring cup and clamps the washer to the clutch body. This stops
the nut from screwing down quite so far and compressing the spring quite so much, hence
softer clutch action and, sometimes more likelyhood of clutch slip. The clutch action
will still be horrible however if the cable route is wrong or the cable itself is rubbish.

I use do-it-yourself nylon-lined cables on my four-strokes and the improvement over over-the-counter
non-lined cables is considerable.

Will

AndyEames
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby AndyEames » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:58 pm

I made a new super duper heavy duty clutch cable for our hill-climber Jezebel. Big mistake, as it it really stiffens the action. We have a Suzuki clutch fitted. So I made another much lighter cable and the lghtness has returned. Its mostly to do with the tight turn the cable has to make at the gearbox end.The washer mod is good one for standard clutches.

roy.craddock

Postby roy.craddock » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:03 pm

Thanks Andy, did you use a nylon lined outer for the lighter action cable by any chance, Regards Roy

AndyEames
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby AndyEames » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:55 am

Hi Roy. Yes nylon liner. As it is a competitition machine I routed the cable through the frame also. Something that is difficult to do on a road bike.It helped a bit but not as much as the lighter cable

Return to “Two stroke”