Basic Questions

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Basic Questions

Postby tstewart » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:55 pm

I bought this arrow as a basket case so never dismantled the bike. Can you guys help with these basic questions.

The exhaust hangers have a slight curve, I have attached a photo, do I have these fitted the wrong way round?

The primary chain adjuster was a problem, still not sure I have that right any comments?

Been struggling a bit with the rear brake lever onto the brake pedal shaft, is there a trick to this getting things lined up.

I bought new exhaust pipes and silencers from Draganfly, the right hand side went on great but the left hand side I had to file the hole on the pipe bracket, seems as if maybe the bend is not as good as the other side. Anyone else had ths?

Any help gratefully accepted.
Attachments
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.

grahamhibbs
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Basic Questions

Postby grahamhibbs » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:10 pm

The exhaust bracket is correct, I also had to enlarge the holes in the exhaust pipe bracket on one side, the brake linkage is on of those things that just eventually falls into place for no apparent reason, can't help with the chain adjuster as I've had no problems with mine, best of luck.
Regards
Graham
West Sussex

1942 Ariel w'ng
1928 Ariel Model B
1960 Ariel Arrow
1960 Ariel Leader

bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby bh.sprint » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Hello Graham,

There is a cross sectional diagram showing the chain adjuster on page 26 of the workshop manual. If you don't have one I can send a scan of that page/diagram. As the nylon adjuster sleeve is pushed into place and turned it locates onto the flat part of the adjuster rod, the other large screw holds the nylon sleeve in place-- at least that's the theory.
Sometimes the brake pedal goes into the splines of the lever on the other side of the engine easily and other times it seems to be harder, especially when you are trying to get the pedal into the next set of splines around to get the pedal at the right height .

Brian H.

tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tstewart » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:35 am

Great thanks Guy's for the info.
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.

Return to “Two stroke”