Leader no spark

Anthony Woolhead

Leader no spark

Postby Anthony Woolhead » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi guys, this is my first post. Having recently acquired a 1959 Leader,I want to get it running before I strip it down for restoration. Having already found a couple of deliberate mistakes, i e a fibre washer on the fuel needle housing where there shouldn't be one, which caused the carb to continuously flood.
I have a spark on the right hand side but none on the left. I suspected the coil but swapping them over gave the same result. I have also checked the wire from the points to the coil for conductivity. So that now focuses my attention on one of the points sets or possibly the alternator. Any suggestions folks? I have checked gaps and cleaned them, I have read that separating the alternator can de-magetize it. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards Tony

roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Leader no spark

Postby roger.fellows » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:18 pm

The emergency ignition position only gives one spark I believe. Is the switch faulty or incorrectly wired?

Anthony Woolhead

Postby Anthony Woolhead » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks Roger, that's something I would not have thought about. I'll check that out.

bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby bh.sprint » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:30 pm

I've checked a number of old coils and found no faulty ones but have had a new coil which failed after 2/3 years.

Re the alternator rotor-- if a very strong pull is needed to get it off a bench vice then it is near enough OK. Villiers Services will do re-magnatising.

It is possible to check the alternator coils with a multimeter, there are resistances for each set of coils , I'll see if I can find them.

And it may be worth powering the coils direct from the battery to by-pass the switch, to check if the switch is the problem.

Brian H.

PS the two stroke Arrow and Leaders club are having a stand at Stafford - there will be a lot of very experienced owners on hand to give advice and some spares available.

AndyEames
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby AndyEames » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:12 pm

Can you see the points 'arcing' ? If not, no power there. If a big spark there then its probably condensor.

Anthony Woolhead

Postby Anthony Woolhead » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Brian H, where would I need to run wires from and to, and would I need to disconnect any existing?

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi,

If the bike is still as standard and has positive earth--- disconnect the supply wire - ve , usually white ,from the coil/contact breaker you need to test ( I use a mirror to find the correct wire/contact on the coil ) make sure it does not touch the frame by wrapping some tape around it and connect a spare bit of wire from the - ve terminal on the battery to the coil - ve. You can test each coil/contact breaker by swapping to the other coil connection.
There is a black/white wire goes to the O/S coil and bottom contact breaker for the emergency supply, whilst testing the coils/contact breakers it may be best to disconnect this in case the switch really is the problem.

If you look at the wiring diagram the white supply to one coil is then just extended to the other coil so if one coil is receiving power then the other should be also receiving a power supply unless there is a break in the connecting wire or bullet terminals.

Hope this helps Brian H.

Anthony Woolhead

Postby Anthony Woolhead » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Brian, I am not familiar with the term ve.

Tony

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Positive ... +ve

negative ... -ve

Return to “Two stroke”