Temperamental Leader

Trevorc

Temperamental Leader

Postby Trevorc » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 pm

My Leader has always had a mind of its own. One day starts straight away , the next no sign of life at all. Initially I put this down to me getting used to its little quirks and starting routine. Anyway over time , as a precaution, I did all the usual stuff , new points , condensers, timing, carb clean -No difference, so pushed it the garage and left it for a few weeks. Tried it again, spark , petrol to the plugs. Nothing.

Went the next step and fitted Pazon electronic ignition. Wheeled it out , went first kick. Great!!! Took it for a 30mile run, it ran really well , smooth tick over and pulled through all the gears. Got home with a big smile on my face - job done.

Went to go out two days later - nothing. Spark at the plugs. Plugs getting wet, Rechecked the timing all good but wont start.
Now had the carb Ultrasonic Cleaned. Still wont go.

Am I missing anything obvious, or am I destined to go down the route of an engine strip to check the seals. A reluctant step as it had a full rebuild just before I purchased it 1200 miles or so ago.

bob.keevil

Re: Temperamental Leader

Postby bob.keevil » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:49 pm

hi Trevorc
Welcome to weird world of two strokes. It seems to me that the fact that ever thing is as per book it often depends on the two stroke gods.Timing and seals are the main catch out I find in my limited time with arrows but stale fuel and damp air can also catch you out. My problem is that they are so good to ride after about 100 yards I have to forgive all the hasle and enjoy them until the next time.
Cheers Bob K.

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:34 pm

Two stokes can be a pain one day it runs good next day it dont to know i find the two stoke fuel gos stale quick and likes to get water in it wen the metal tank gets cold and damp i allways use fresh fuel i use sta-bil additive to keep the fuel fresh look it up on ebay i have used it for the last 5 years and had no problem with fuel

bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby bh.sprint » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Re fuel,

I've heard a lot about stale fuel and the problems it causes but after not using the bikes for a few weeks or even months they always start fairly easily . The only problem I had was with a tank in which the liner came off with the ethanol content.
Aspen fuel lasts longer and does not go off and gives off less fumes but costs a lot more.

If the bikes does not start and you think it is flooded, close the fuel tap, turn off the ignition and give it about 10 kicks. Then turn on the ignition and give it a few more kicks.

Brian H.

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:19 am

I should have added on the last post that the throttle needs to be fully open when kicking the bike over 10 times to clear the cylinders. I've used it over the years and it does work.

Brian H.

Trevorc

Postby Trevorc » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 pm

I have to agree Bob for all it's wrong doings I still cant help but forgive once it's going . Unfortunately I haven't managed to get there yet.
I have ruled out the potential fuel issues ( thanks for the pointers from Johnny and Brian) as I filled up with fresh fuel during the test run after fitting the Pazon Ignition system..
In an attempt to cover all possibilities, and avoid the last resort of a complete strip down, I have been all over the electrical connections plus remade all the earthing points , taking them back to the battery where possible. I've now got a slightly healthier spark but still no go.
Is it worth considering a new carb ( possibly a Mikuni) ? Or is there perhaps someone local (Ipswich) who could kindly lend me a known and proven carb just to try before throwing good money after bad.
Thank you for all your input to date, my enthusiasm remains undented.

terrylangley

Postby terrylangley » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi Trevorc. I had a very similar problem on a previous Arrow SS which I completely stripped and eventually found that I had standard piston rings on +20 pistons. New Suzuki +20 pistons cured the problem.
Good luck, Terry Langley

bh.sprint

Postby bh.sprint » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 pm

Hi , This may be a long shot but are the crqnks at 180 degrees, I've know the key move back on assembly and the cranks be out of position and move as they are bolted together.

And can you feel the compression for each stroke as the kick start is pushed down.

Brian H.

Trevorc

Postby Trevorc » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi Brian, Matched pistons to the timing holes in the flywheel so don't think they have moved out of position , plus have got excellent compression on both cylinders.
As my elimination checks progress I am leaning more and more towards a carb problem.
Would welcome a lend of a decent carb if anyone has a spare (in the Ipswich area)just to prove or eliminate my suspicions before I splash the cash.
TrevorC

rogerlee

Postby rogerlee » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Trevor,I am in the Beccles area and will be at Copdock with an Arrow in the main hall,If you are still wanting to try another carb let us know as I have a couple of 375/33 fully tested,Roger and out

Return to “Two stroke”