New Member and New Bike.

Anything about Ariels
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: New Member and New Bike.

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:56 pm

MarkC wrote:...is there some sort of locking device on the front brake plate that I cannot see ?

Hi Mark and welcome.
If you're still having trouble with the brakeplate, could be a ridge (or build up of crud) on the inside of the brake drum, have you made sure the fulcrum adjuster (opposite the brake lever on the brakeplate) is fully unscrewed? (As others have suggested...)
Rocking movement isn't an issue with the roller-bearing big-end, I think even new ones rock (!) - as long as there's no vertical movement it should be fine (might well be OK even with a slight bit of vertical play for the use you're intending).
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the marks/pitting in the bore either, having spent a couple of years running a VH with what looked to be horrible great digs in the bore - not only did it have feendish compression (hot or cold) it didn't use any oil! I've concluded that as long as there isn't a massive continuous plough-line the entire length of the bore it's quite serviceable :)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Back in the day, the Racers and Record-Breakers used to leave their freshly-honed barrels out in the rain.

The small rust pits trapped oil and helped prevent seizures under extreme conditions.

Embrace the rust pits ;).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 pm

Just looking at the piston skirt there seems to be some odd marking where it contacts the cylinder on the thrust face indicating that it might not have been machined properly . Also Honing WILL remove metal so sometimes it's a toss up as to whether you make it look pretty and have a slightly loose piston or leave it. I would measure THAT piston to see just what clearance it's running, and what shape it is. (Taper and ovality.) It is also a low compression piston. I see the flywheels are marked HT. Are they cast or steel? The LATER VCH (non roundbase) were cast and not really suitable for competition work and got a bit of a bad name for blowing up. Trials work isn't like racing though and heavier wheels help. Hope you are happy with your bike. There's always things to sort out.. Nev

MarkC

Postby MarkC » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks again all,
I think, on reflection and advice, I will leave the bore alone. I will check and measure the piston this morning and if all is well just clean up and reassemble. Flywheels are Cast, piston is very low compression, 5,6:1 from what I can gather, I was actually thinking because I'm not using it for serious Trials but more Trail, to fit a new piston with a higher compression but maybe I will get it running properly first and get used to it.
The gearbox sprocket fitted is 16T and I understand the HT5 was, as standard, 19T and this would better suit my usage.
Thanks again.

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:21 pm

MarkC wrote:Flywheels are Cast

I see steel flywheels, becouse the oilplug is inline with the bigend.

will_curry

Postby will_curry » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm

Hello Mark,

I run mine on 19-tooth crankshaft, 19-tooth gearbox and a standard rear sprocket - like a
350. I have the wide-ratio gearbox and for most things on or off road it works
well. For serious stuff i have a Vincent sidecar sprocket which has 56 teeth. With the
speedo drive off the back wheel there is no problem with the odo reading.

I'd check that the flywheel sludge trap isn't full, put it back together and ride it. It's
the best way to find out what works and what doesn't.
Attachments
vmcc_relay_rally_2016.JPG

MarkC

Postby MarkC » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks Adrie and Will.
My bike has the standard 18T engine sprocket which I will leave, what tyres are you using ?

will_curry

Postby will_curry » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Hello Mark,

Very elderly Pirelli MT43s - when I eventually had to replace the rims after the MOT man wouldn't
pass them any more I went to 18" for the rear to get a better choice of tyre.

Return to “Ariel Talk”