paint and fish oil

Anything about Ariels
micktailor

Re: paint and fish oil

Postby micktailor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:35 am

so i have to disagree with u nev on putting topcoat on without primer... the car panel lasted for about 7 years before that became visible tho, but it aint visible anywhere else on that panel and the edges of the brackets were the only place that id sanded thru the primer....... but u will end up with a very authentic look because its exactly what they did at the factory on most bike frames and they all start going at the corners first!
but i do agree with u when u say it makes chipping more likely, but chips can be fixed, light rust on every sharp corner on your frame cant... unless u re do the whole frame.... thats my take on it anyway, but like i. said, ive been proved wrong once before :-)

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Mick I didn't say to not use primer. I said SOFT primer surfacers are not good under paint on motorcycle frames. I always use an etch or a cold gal light coat. on bare metal. Easy sand surfacers are the cheap and nasty way of getting a smooth surface. They have poor strength, adhesion are relatively porous and allow moisture/oil etc through them. Nev

micktailor

Postby micktailor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:12 am

oh, sorry nev, my mistake..i misunderstood u there..
i used epoxy primer on mine, what do u usually use?
epoxy is really tough and waterproof, but is supposed to b colour coated before it hardens... which makes it a bit tricky if u have limited time
mick

micktailor

Postby micktailor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 am

i mean u finish coat with 2 pak?
mick

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 pm

With 2 pak I use the suggested undercoat. Pale yellow colour. It's quite hard to sand back, otherwise a cold gal or an aviation etch very thin coat and unsanded usually Might just use a scouring pad lightly if there's been any sanding "dust" or such blown from somewhere. On the military bikes I use a rattlecan of acrylic enamel specially colour matched is it's easy to repair scratches etc in small areas. This paint "crocadiles" sometimes over alkyd enamel and other primers especially if drying conditions make it dry slower. Nev

micktailor

Postby micktailor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 am

cool, thanks nev, i need all the info i can get lol
do u cut back that orange peel effect with ur 2pac jobs? mine has very slight orange peel effect which is not noticable at all in daylight but at night with a single light source is visible... it must b hard to polish a frame without hitting the edges because ariel frames have more gizmos on them than most lol
mick

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 am

A bit more thinners helps to get rid of the orange peel but more likely to get runs. You need the frame on a thingy that rotates it. That helps and you don't miss bits so easily. Nev

micktailor

Postby micktailor » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:29 pm

cool, thanks nev. yeah the paint went on really well, but it dries to that normal orange peel that 2 pac has, i might just try 2000 grit and then compound it by hand avoiding the edges altogether. engine plates nearly ready for colour, then i can bolt the engine in and try starting it... cant wait !

Return to “Ariel Talk”