ArielMAroon /Deep Claret

Anything about Ariels
Roderick.Bradley

ArielMAroon /Deep Claret

Postby Roderick.Bradley » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:01 am

I have a Maroon 1959 NH to be re-painted & I wonder if I might raise the subject of Ariel Maroon or Dark Claret again. A trawl of the forum brought up the following suggested colour matches :-
- Leyland Hunter Maroon B, (Draganfly suggestion)
- Ford Garnet
- BMC Blackberry
- RAL 3007
It’s a pity bikes in these colours couldn’t be lined up & compared with an un-restored Maroon coloured bike at an Annual Rally. I have checked out re-painted Maroon coloured bikes at Rallies over the years. I have seen Ford Garnet & Leyland Maroon – very nice but in my humble opinion they are still that little bit appreciably different from the original Deep Claret. It may be that we all see colours a little differently anyway. BMC Blackberry is very nice & I might choose to use it but it is still not quite Deep Claret/Ariel Maroon. I don’t know what RAL 3007 looks like so, unfortunately, can have no opinion on that.

About 30 years ago someone in the business went to great pains to mix me a quantity of Maroon paint in 2-pack Epoxy for a 1955 KH and it was, indeed, a match for the original Ariel Maroon. Unfortunately, they ceased business a long time ago taking the secret with them! I do remember them telling me the key to success was to add a little BLUE to the mix. The trouble is I now need to re-paint a damaged petrol tank on that same bike without having the code for their paint mix so there is an argument for always choosing a standard commercially available colour code like one of the those listed above.

Originality matters in the sense that if a thing is worth doing, do it right. On the other hand, Ariel Maroon/Deep Claret was not such wonderful colour in my opinion -not at all like Mr Turner's Triumph “Duck-egg Blue”, for example – because it seems to have quickly lost its lustre & became dull and darkened (I can tell you this because i am the second owner of the above '59 NH). It did the Make no favours, I would have thought. But perhaps colour soon didn’t matter in a grey age of pea-souper smogs before the smoke control laws.

What do others think and which of the colour codes listed above is the best match in your opinion for the original Ariel Maroon/Deep Claret?
Rod

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: ArielMAroon /Deep Claret

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Rod:

Have you found the thread with the advice that Ariel bought the paint from different suppliers so the colour might have varied even between brand new bikes? :twisted:

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:19 pm

On a Club visit to Selly Oak in the very early days, somebody asked Val Page what the correct colour for Ariel maroon was. His reply was something to the effect of "Don't tell me all of the parts on your bike are the same colour, surely?" From this, we may deduce that Ariel had the very same problem as you now have. Fortunately, it also tells us that if the new colour doesn't match to perfection - your bike is closer to original.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser.

robjameson

Postby robjameson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:33 pm

I recently purchased a new old stock footrest, and the paint on that is a very close match to the BMC blackberry colour.

I also have a NOS battery carrier fitted to the VH, where the match isn’t quite as good, but good enough for no one to notice.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
2016 Honda CBR600RR

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:48 pm

I'm using RS Paints "Ariel Deep Claret", I have no idea how it compares to other paint sources but it looks Ok to me.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:46 am

There's red in that colour and red fades. Get somewhere the light hasn't been for your sample. I recently obtained a 1954 motor with the front engine plates still on and the colour in the inside was quite nice and a more pure colour (not muddy) than most attempts at matchjng achieve. Marroon is classy without any black or white in it. No tints or shade. It depends what the paint guy has to mix with as well. A lot of the colours aren't pure.. Nev

charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby charles.bulloch » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 am

I compared a few pieces of original paint with each other. Some were identical to RAL 3007 and some looked slightly more purplish.

Charlie

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 pm

As said . It's quite likely there are variations (as with Indians for example) Some of the Ariel colours are quite inspired. The Reds (inc maroon) and the greens especially. The wedgewood blue is hard to keep clean as is any light colour. nev

Return to “Ariel Talk”