bike identification

Anything about Ariels
alan.moore
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: bike identification

Postby alan.moore » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Mike
The fact that there is not trace of the registration number on the DVLA database online check does not mean the bike does not still exist.

Starting in the mid 1970's when you 'taxed' a vehicle with the local licensing authority or post office, using the RF60 / VE50 old buff logbook the logbook would be cancelled, the vehicle details entered on the then new computer system and a V5 registration document issued by DVLA.

If a vehicle was not 'taxed' during this period its details would not be entered onto the computer. In the 1980's DVLA dictated that anyone with a vehicle that had not been road taxed and issued with a new 'computerised' V5 registration document should apply to DVLA and exchange their old logbook for a V5 document. The vehicle details would then be entered onto the computer system. They allowed such 'updates' to be carried out until 1983.

So if the owner did not request a new style V5 document by 1983 the vehicle details would not be entered onto the computer system and the authority to use the registration number on the relevant vehicle would be lost.

There was also a period in the 1990's where the computerised details of vehicles that were on the computer system, but had not been 'taxed' for 3 or more years, were removed from the main system (they were running out of computer storage space) and put on a backup system which is based on microfiche records.

DVLA will reinstate a vehicles original registration details even if they had not been informed that it still existed prior to the 1983 cut off date. In order to do this they must be provided with the original buff logbook and the vehicle must be inspected by a recognised body (usually an owners club) to make sure the logbook (frame / chassis number) does relate to that vehicle and that the vehicle is substantially composed of period parts. They will also accept other official documents if they bear the registration number AND frame / chassis number but are very strict on what they will accept.

So the bike may be sat somewhere waiting to be rediscovered or it may have been exported without having been entered on the DVLA computer system.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:32 pm

I have found the house in the picture 1 Lyndhurstroad, https://www.google.nl/maps/@51.2254182, ... 312!8i6656

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:04 pm

For the Sherlock's among us, i have bought this 1947-48 unrestored 350cc from an advert in "Old bike market" 1700? pounds some 12 ? years ago, maybe the sellers telephone number is still the same, he had a prived trials ground behind the house.
If i remember well the advert was left bottem page.

Mike Smith

Postby Mike Smith » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks again for the great information.

My father owned this bike and lived in Reigate up until the 50's at which time he purchased a larger Ariel and made a sidecar for it. There are photos but they do not show the bike very well. He always had Ariel bikes as far back as I can remember.

My fathers name is Thomas H. R. Smith, his brothers name was Jack Smith, both brothers were into bikes during the 40's and belonged to the R.R.N.D.M.C. I have contacted this Reigate/Redhill club but they have no records going back that far?

If any members are able to locate this exact bike or log book I would be more than willing to pay a premium finders fee.

Thank you.

Dr. Michael Smith
ontario1950@gmail.com

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Here an update, the 350 i bought was frame BP 8428 engine bk 5748, so maybe Paul Jameson can thell if this could be the same as Mr. Smith's Ariel.

This is a difficult process becouse i am depending on others as it being sold on twise.
I don't want a finders fee.

Return to “Ariel Talk”