Two into one exhausts

Anything about Ariels
Dickie.Barsby

Two into one exhausts

Postby Dickie.Barsby » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Hiya Folks.

I'm interested in a little feed back concerning a two into one exhaust system for my 1957 Huntmaster. The bike I own is quite original and is fitted with a fully enclosed chain guard, which is great for chain life, but I find the nearside silencer is a pain, restricting access to the inspection hole and other things. I've been considering a two into one system but thought I'd have to enlist the help of a competent metal bender. Until that is I went onto the Armours website (for something unrelated) and saw that they actually sell a two into one down pipe system for the Huntmaster. Simple question. Has anyone bought one of these and do they fit OK?

Many thanks.

Dickie

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Two into one exhausts

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:09 pm

hi i think you will find steven carter has got them on his ARIEL

Dickie.Barsby

Postby Dickie.Barsby » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks Johnny, I'm not familiar with Steven, But I'll try to make contact.

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:15 pm

Hi Dickie - welcome to the frorum
Dickie.Barsby wrote:...I'm not familiar with Steven

Just see the Daily Fixing and Riding Diary in the Main Chat area!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10194
I think Steven's currently running something he made up himself to go with his alloy head. However, I use an Armours siamese system on my Huntmaster - on mine the fit isn't the best (if I remember rightly it's a bit strained over the exhaust ports - the angle doesn't seem quite right and the 2 don't want to become 1 without a bit of a fight) but it did go on. There was also some pretty thin chrome over the front mounting stay. However, at the time it was the only one they had and they weren't planning to get any more made up until they had a few more orders. And after running a single with the one pipe along the offside, like you I didn't fancy having something in the way of the chaincase and clutch!
There are more than a few of the Armours-style system about so they can't be too bad I guess.

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:44 pm

HI if you look at the posts for suppliers on the forum their is posts for exhausts suppliers that members have got from them

Dickie.Barsby

Postby Dickie.Barsby » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks for your advice folks, Dickie

jim.haydock

Postby jim.haydock » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:30 am

Dickie,

Sorry that I'm a little late to the party on this one but I can certainly confirm that Armours siamese systems fit well and work fine having done some 11,000 or so miles on my Huntmaster since I built it about five years ago. From memory I recall that it took a fair bit of fiddling and persuading to get the pieces to fit together but once done it worked a treat.

I've attached a couple of pictures for reference and you'll note that my bike, which was built from a collection of disparate parts, is far from standard spec. Nevertheless the engine and frame are both standard Ariel componenets so the fit of the exhaust is standard.

Jim Haydock,
Lancs Branch
Attachments
DSC_0120.JPG
DSC_0121.JPG

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:29 am

It must be remembered, they are difficult to fit and don't enhance performance. Nev

tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tonyh » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:20 pm

I have a two into one on my Hunterbird. The Thunderbird motors had one on. I also have one on my Commando f/bed. They're a lot less noisy than two pipes, they weigh less, they give access to the primary side and I haven't noticed any difference in performance. Let's face it all cars and many bikes have them on nowadays. Just do it.
Cheers Tony

Return to “Ariel Talk”