My 37 frame

Anything about Ariels
fpassmore
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

My 37 frame

Postby fpassmore » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:40 pm

I have a frame XF7947, with unstamped 500CC engine cases, that I picked up last year and I am now preparing to get it on the bench and start working on it this fall. So I am wondering if the archivist could advise me if this shows up as a 500 cc machine and if so what would the correct engine number be or advice on how to proceed with numbering for the engine would be much appreciated. Even as a bitsa I will have to stamp the engine cases so i can register the machine, it did not come with papers.

Frank
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
Crankcase.JPG
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '36 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, too many other BSA's, Norton's, Triumph's, Ducati's and Japanese to list. Just crazed is all my problem is.

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: My 37 frame

Postby adrie.degraaff » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:51 am

I can understand your problem but these type of crankcases where only used 1951-53, you can see that from a mile away so better find 1937 cases.
If you ever try to sell it with a 1937 number in the cases your in trouble.

You will get a very good deal from a VHA - VCH owner with bad crankcases.

fpassmore

Postby fpassmore » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Hello Adrie,

Thanks for the reply Adrie, avoiding trouble is why I am seeking advice. You will have to enlighten me as to what is indicating this is a 51-53 case. The case shown has A7/479 but there is no casting mark on the other half, that I can see.

The dual port head and barrel have all the right casting numbers so presumably someone blew up their cases and obtained replacements from the factory to make this all work? I got this with a 1950 G108 gearbox which I know is not correct but I have a BA that will do although marked for 1939. I have seen video from the previous owner of this motor running so I know it is possible to rebuild it to run but it may be that I have to find some more suitable cases I guess.

Frank
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '36 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, too many other BSA's, Norton's, Triumph's, Ducati's and Japanese to list. Just crazed is all my problem is.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:18 pm

Hello Frank, Adrie is refering to the difference in the left hand side front cilinderstud mounting area.
The casting there runs down in a straight line on the years adrie mentions.
Compare this area to earlier or later crankcases and you will see...
MOT / TUV / or whatever official are not on par with the level of anorakism displayed on this forum.
So dont worry, just stamp whatever you want.
last time i've seen Adrie he was not applying for a job at your nearest DVLA / MOT station......

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:01 am

Since it only fits the range 51_53 because of the obvious appearance it may be sought after by people who have that range of model. and as stated it would be suitable for the later (Non roundbase) VCH or VHA models. Even the W/NG cases are "normal" and should be more available for your 37 model. I managed a new unstamped set some time ago. Nev

fpassmore

Postby fpassmore » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:58 pm

gentlemen,

Thank you as always for the information and advice,

I have requested dating information from the archivist and we will see what this really started life as since the frame type was used for numerous machines but I really want to build it up as a 500 so that may not be the deciding factor. Might end up a bitsa if I have to but but really must consider all the alternatives before committing to one direction keeping in mind that Ariels are pretty thin on the ground here in Canada.

Frank

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:46 am

After some year in the 30's (1936??) the crankcases for singles are the same for all capacities. Nev

fpassmore

Postby fpassmore » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:10 am

Hah, after more than 5 years watching I have come up with the correct cases and negotiating for delivery right now. Be nice to have them in hand by the time my '48 A7 is ready to come off the bench then it would be a furious effort to get it ready for this summer but awfully nice to get done. I know I have better than 95% of the bits located by now.
Frank

Return to “Ariel Talk”