Ariel bobber conversion

Anything about Ariels
HazelBrooks
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:47 pm
Contact:

Ariel bobber conversion

Postby HazelBrooks » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:07 pm

Hello people, I would like your advice about the bike pictured here. It`s a USA import at a nice price that I am considering for conversion to a trials bike. Obviously those silly front forks would have to go but I am concerned about the headstock angle, what do you types think? I messaged the seller about this but he is the type who doesn`t respond. I`ve also noticed that the frame is a twin down-tube type, is that Ariel or something else? Any input would be appreciated as I don`t want to find myself with something totally unsuitable. Hazel
Attachments
Ariel Bobber.jpg
Ariel Bobber ns.jpg

will_curry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ariel bobber conversion

Postby will_curry » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Looking at the photos I think all that has been done is to extend the forks legs.
The frame looks unmolested - at the headset at least.

As far as making a trials bike out of it the duplex framed Ariels are not light. They
work well with a sidecar but they can be a handful solo off-road.

Your other suggestion of modifying a Colt was interesting. There are photos of Geoff Duke
riding one - possibly from the factory - with a swinging arm back end which looked very useful.

Where's the kickstart by the way?

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Ariel bobber conversion

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:15 pm

in the add it says the kick start has bean blank off and he has got a kick start and bits to go with it looks like its just the forks are longer i did email and he did not reply to it dont look a bad bike you must have to bump start it that is ok wen you are a lot younger :lol: :?:

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:10 pm
Location: Brisbane QLD
Contact:

Re: Ariel bobber conversion

Postby john.whiting » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:37 pm

The forks look like they may be those suicidal 1970s screw in extensions to the normal stanchions......In any case ,shortening the forks is a simple cut and rethreading job.

HazelBrooks
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Ariel bobber conversion

Postby HazelBrooks » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:31 pm

JohnnyBeckett wrote:in the add it says the kick start has bean blank off and he has got a kick start and bits to go with it looks like its just the forks are longer i did email and he did not reply to it dont look a bad bike you must have to bump start it that is ok wen you are a lot younger :lol: :?:

I also messaged him, result - silence. Even as a source of parts I reckoned the base price wasn`t too bad. I`m not sure how much a replica HT frame is, probably about a grand. :roll:

will_curry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ariel bobber conversion

Postby will_curry » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:59 pm

Swapping an HT frame for a duplex frame isn't that simple. Not much will fit. The fork yokes
are different although I think they can be made to fit, I'm pretty sure the swinging arm is smaller
at the pivot end on the HT, the engine plates and the gearbox are different as it the rear wheel.

HazelBrooks
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Ariel bobber conversion

Postby HazelBrooks » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:07 pm

will_curry wrote:Swapping an HT frame for a duplex frame isn't that simple. Not much will fit. The fork yokes
are different although I think they can be made to fit, I'm pretty sure the swinging arm is smaller
at the pivot end on the HT, the engine plates and the gearbox are different as it the rear wheel.


You know the old saying "where there`s a will.................." lol

will_curry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ariel bobber conversion

Postby will_curry » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:39 pm

You know what happens, don't you?

As you push the replica HT out of the workshop and into the warm spring sunshine you look back
into the workshop and think 'Mmm.There's nearly enough bits left over to build another bike'.

HazelBrooks
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Ariel bobber conversion

Postby HazelBrooks » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:01 pm

will_curry wrote:You know what happens, don't you?

As you push the replica HT out of the workshop and into the warm spring sunshine you look back
into the workshop and think 'Mmm.There's nearly enough bits left over to build another bike'.


Frankly you are not wrong and I would use said bits to claw some of my money back - I have a plan.......... :lol:

will_curry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ariel bobber conversion

Postby will_curry » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:45 pm

I had a plan once too and a 1949 Ariel and a pile of bits.

I managed to mislay the plan years ago. Now there are eight Ariels and a much larger
collection of bits.

DSCF0908.JPG


Return to “Ariel Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests