Front Fork & Hub combinations

Anything about Ariels
derekmalcolm

Front Fork & Hub combinations

Postby derekmalcolm » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:02 am

I have a 1956 swinging arm frame which I obtained without forks or wheel. From my store of parts I have a set of the earlier fork (yokes stantions & sliders) and I have a FWH, so my question is "Did Ariel change both fork sliders and hubs at the same time or were they introduced separately and if so what is an acceptable combination i.e later sliders with the Mk 7 hubs or the earlier forks with the FWH
Thanks

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Front Fork & Hub combinations

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:14 pm

1956 and on has a differend frontforks to the FWH, only the stantions and base crown are the same as 1955, the pre 1955 dusn't have the steeringlock.

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Front Fork & Hub combinations

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 pm

FWH needed different sliders for the bigger axle, the mudguard mountings were changed at the same time. From memory (without checking spares books numbers) the longer bushes and slightly different damping hole pattern was in use from '55 and before that the shorter bushes were used (with the slightly different damping hole arrangement in the stanchions).
As Adrie says in '55 the lower yoke gained a mounting for the steering lock (but it doesn't stop the steering working if you mix those up).
I think the bushes (long/short) might be what governs the damping (although even there a mis-match might not be 'fatal') and they are interchangeable so at a (hopefully) educated guess you can use components across the '55/'56 split to match to the correct sliders for whichever front hub you need to use.
(There are some articles about that deal with the front fork changes - and modifications - in detail....)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Return to “Ariel Talk”