Nice article in TCMC!!

Anything about Ariels
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Nice article in TCMC!!

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:20 pm

Assuming by badge bar that you mean the bar through the front top sidecar mount, these are / were a standard Britax item. They are easy enough to replicate if you have a lathe, as I have done for the one on my KH(A) on which I have mounted oil gauge and clock as extras. But make the stud connecting the two halves of the bar from mild steel. That way, when you fall off, it is the connecting stud which bends rather than the bar itself - although the end of the bar will undoubtedly display gravel rash.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:17 am

At one time you could get chrome mesh covers for Lucas headlamps ....and the #1 rocker accessory ,a chrome peak for the light ....both these simply fitted in the shell in front of the light/lens unit....Common on Minis back in the day.,too.

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks Paul

Yes it's the Britax bar I'm looking for and as you say an easy thing to reproduce with a lathe and polishing mops, but I don't have a pattern :(

Think I'd be tempted to make the stud from a material that would fracture rather than risk frame damage.

Regards Mick

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Mick,

My crash / badge / oil gauge / clock bar on the KH(A) is based on the Britax bar so the dimensions are similar, although not identical in one or two places. Each bar is 12" long and made from 1.150" hex. The hex is probably what I could find so the dimension may not be the same as the Britax. Starting at the frame end, you have 5/8" circular, then 3/4" hex, then circular again to the hex at the outer end. From memory the hex at the outer end was the same length as the 3/4" towards the frame end, but I made mine a with a bit longer hex at the outer end. The outer end of the bar is radiused. My bars have extra lengths of hex where the instruments are mounted.

Paul

IMG_8728.JPG
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks Paul

Those dimensions are very helpful.

Regards Mick

Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Ian.Taylor » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:32 am

Hi Steve
Many years ago in the mid 80's my friend had a one owner Cyclone with the chrome nacelle .
Mid 90's at the famous Paris Ont Vintage meet I saw another with the chrome nacelle .Then maybe 3 years ago a gentlemen from Quebec bought a one owner Cyclone and yes it had the chrome nacelle.
I'm pretty sure I read years ago some Cyclones that came to Canada had Chrome nacelles.

Return to “Ariel Talk”