First day out

Anything about Ariels
klaus gerhard
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: First day out

Postby klaus gerhard » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:16 am

Hello Paul,
what a nice bike. Well done. Are the wheels of your bike both 19"? On my swingarm square the back wheel was 18" in the first place resulting a very limited groundclearance when cornering. When I changed to 19" in the back it was perfect.

I still have a 2nd swingarm Square Frame kit coming along and I will fit 19" rims front and rear from the beginning.

All the best and good luck with your bike.
Klaus

Paul_Linden
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Paul_Linden » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:06 pm

allan.walker wrote:That looks great!

Out of interest, has the frame been lengthened, or has the primary chaincase been shortened, to get the engine and gearbox to fit?

The frame was lengthened. Whoever did it managed it so the frame rail below the tank was kept straight, pic below should show this, and then the square four engine and gearbox dropped in. I had to modify the square four rear engine plates to fit the swinging arm frame.
B9199268-D854-4312-8641-73F0CA52ED23.jpeg
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Square 4 mk3 (yes, really), Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

Paul_Linden

Postby Paul_Linden » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:16 pm

klaus gerhard wrote:Hello Paul,
what a nice bike. Well done. Are the wheels of your bike both 19"? On my swingarm square the back wheel was 18" in the first place resulting a very limited groundclearance when cornering. When I changed to 19" in the back it was perfect.

I still have a 2nd swingarm Square Frame kit coming along and I will fit 19" rims front and rear from the beginning.

All the best and good luck with your bike.
Klaus

Hello Klaus, yes, the back wheel is 19” as fitted to a swinging arm Ariel. I calculated that this should be all right with all four sprockets (primary, clutch, gearbox, rear wheel) left as standard, as a standard square four with an 18” back wheel is slightly under-geared.

Thanks, and enjoy your next rebuild.
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Square 4 mk3 (yes, really), Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

allan.walker

Postby allan.walker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:07 pm

klaus gerhard wrote: Are the wheels of your bike both 19"? On my swingarm square the back wheel was 18" in the first place resulting a very limited ground clearance when cornering. When I changed to 19" in the back it was perfect.

That's interesting, Klaus.
The tyres on the blue bike appear to be Avon Roadriders. According to the Avon website, a 90/90-19 has an overall diameter of 647 mm, whereas a 4.00-19 has an o.d. of 671 mm. (Both unladen, presumably)
I have a Huntmaster-framed Square Four with a WM3 rear rim and Dunlop K70 tyre, which also measures 671 mm overall diameter.

It looks from Avon's figures that I wouldn't gain any ground clearance by changing to a 19" rear wheel/tyre (but I must admit I am contemplating some rear shocks 1/2" longer than standard ;)

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby MARK.WALSH » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:29 pm

keep us posted on the running and riding experience
If only they did a swinging arm as standard....

Paul_Linden

Postby Paul_Linden » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:33 pm

A good day today. Lots of minor fettling has been done since this thread started a few months ago to get the Mark 1 running reliably. The biggest of the tasks was getting the Solex carb right, and now that has been done and it is back on the bike I can report it is a very nice carb. Not harsh like the 626, the Solex is an easy starter which gives a low smooth tickover. So I went on a 30 mile run with no problems today and am pleased that this is turning into a nice ride.
Here is a pic of it before I set out. Can’t get the pic the right way up, :? but if you click on the pic it displays OK in high res. 8-)
F0775B61-4B10-461B-9FE8-AF3CA8EC6A21.jpeg

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:07 pm

I think it best to consider that you have just ridden it to Australia and back!
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Paul_Linden

Postby Paul_Linden » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks Paul, I think your tip about the gasket in the Solex needing a slot was the thing that did the trick.

Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:24 am

It is looking very good!
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

Paul_Linden

Postby Paul_Linden » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:05 pm

Thanks Eero, this is an interesting project as at the start I set off to build a reliable and updated square four. The following updates were included in the build:
* cam spray bar
* club con-rods
* Morgo oil pump
* cartridge oil filter
* electronic ignition
* 12v electrics
* Iron Horse alternator
* indicators
* LED lights
* mark 2 pistons
* Avon tyres
I’m still running it in, so I haven’t got the full measure of the reliability or performance. There are some obvious omissions on the above list such as better brakes, plus I need to change the gearing as it’s a bit ‘revvy’ but it’s turning out to be what I hoped.

Return to “Ariel Talk”