Rigid Sqs

Anything about Ariels
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Rigid Sqs

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 pm

HI Wade keep the number plate and v5 and get it sorn like mick says and keep it and if the bike came back to uk with that v5 and number it would make a lot more money plus you have the history of the witch is priceless to me i think :!:

wade.edwards
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby wade.edwards » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:10 am

OK, have found the link to filing. Thanks!
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ation-sorn

john.davies
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby john.davies » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:44 am

Hi Wade, not sure that you need to SORN, which stands for "Statutory Off Road Notification", the bike. This is something we have to do over here so the vehicle is not liable for road tax when not going to be used for a long period of time on UK roads. By having the export marker set it is by default 'SORNed' as the DVLA have been informed the vehicle is going to be out of the country for more than 12 months. If you read this link it may help explain what the Export Marker is about and if it did come back to the UK what may need to be done to get it back as a live registration. http://www.silkroute.org.uk/documents/oneyear.htm
Image 1937 Panther M100 Rigid, 1946 Ariel Square 4 Rigid / Girder, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash (WIP), 1954 Ariel VH, 1961 Triumph T120R

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:10 am

John, looking at the DVLA record it is obvious that this machine is a 47 model, not a 46.
It was last registered for the road in 2004. The current US owner does not have the log book or anything else resembling registration because it came in a group of motorcycles from an estate sale and paperwork was lost or misplaced by the previous eccentric owner.
If it were to be sold back to an English buyer, how would the new English owner re-register it without a V5?
Looks like that could happen as the current owner is willing to pass it on.

Mick D

Postby Mick D » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:09 am

Hi Wade

I'd investigate here to see if a replacement V5c could be obtained:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

This will preserve the number plate and confer it's ownership to you. I'd also investigate whether permanently exporting a vehicle preserves the number plate, (my reason for suggesting you declare SORN), if not you may lose it.

Getting a V5c in my name for that registration would be my highest priority if I were in your position - likewise if I had a US import to UK, I'd be chasing the original documentation or links to it.

Regards Mick

admin

Postby admin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 am

If you do try to recover the registration document (V5C), then DVLA may:
  1. Issue it to you - I had a basket case with a very old logbook. I sent it in and got a new V5C back (@ 2 years ago) - Result !!
  2. Ask for pictures - I had a very incomplete bike with a very old logbook. They wanted pictures and spoke to me on the phone (@6 months ago) and did provide the V5C after about 8 weeks.
  3. Insist on a physical inspection - Out of my last three that were going back on the road, they came out to look at two of them.

I obv had the bikes, in all cases, but my point is that they've dealt with the situation inconsistantly. I think I had to provide proof of address, in the second case (the one 6 months back), which as your bike isn't in the UK ( I am assuming yr friend lives near to you ??) will be tough for him
I suspect others have similar experiences.

Just saying that worst case, they may want to see it and which depending on what you are trying to do i.e. obtain a V5C, may not improve the situation. I'd be surprised if DVLA would issue a V5C to a keeper outside of the UK - but I am sure someone else knows more than me.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:10 pm

Thank you John and Mick, very helpful links and advice. So great to have this forum!

Return to “Ariel Talk”