Loyblox

Anything about Ariels
bob.lowery

Loyblox

Postby bob.lowery » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:14 pm

I have just used the last bits of Loyblox that I have had for years. For those who haven't heard of it Loyblox were blocks of rubber which were impregnated with polishing grit and were great for polishing alloy parts. They came in coarse, medium or fine grades. I can't find any mention of them online, so I assume they aren't made any more. Is there a current equivalent?

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Loyblox

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:16 pm

HI Bob most people use polishing mops with the grit in them it seems like all the good old stuff has gone all i see now is rubber sanding blocks that you get in diy stores :(

kevinbowman

Postby kevinbowman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Done a bit of searching and if you go on the amazon site and search for Garryflex abrasive blocks, these seem to be the modern day equivalent and are available . Hope this is helpful I to have used the original loyblox and found it a good product.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:35 pm

they are the same type of blocks that i get from my paint supplies or a good diy store the cheap ones are made of a hard sponge and like sandpaper i use the good ones in the body and paint shop

bob.lowery

Postby bob.lowery » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Thanks Kevin, the Garryflex product looks to be just what I'm looking for, I will give it a try. My target during the lockdown period is to get all 3 of my bikes running, smart and usable at the same time (Ariel VB, BSA Super Rocket and Earle's fork BMW R60). It's something which has always eluded me, but the VB and the R60 are now goers, just the Beezer to go. Oh, and there's a silly little French Velosolex moped, but that really is life in the slow lane!

kevinbowman

Postby kevinbowman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:46 am

Bob, Glad to be of some help would be interesting when you have used the new Garryflex blocks to see if they are ok. I like properly everyone else during these difficult times have been keeping busy in the workshop just given my 1951 KH a good check over ready for hopefully some riding in the not to distant future, not to much polishing as its an oily rag one that was rescued from a farm dairy three years ago which had not been used since 1960.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:56 am

HI Bob one thing i forgot to say wen i use the blocks i use them wet with a little bit of water and soap it stops them clogging up

Return to “Ariel Talk”