KICK START JAMMING

Anything about Ariels
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

KICK START JAMMING

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:10 pm

HI All my kick start keeps jamming i have fitted a new kick start shaft and new bushes but it is now jamming a lot more than it did before i change the the bushes and shaft . the teeth on the tick start shaft and ratchet look OK i was told once they do jam sometimes but this all the time i know the kick start spring is weak i had to use a spring out of a old box because my one wen i was trying to start it the spring broke but i would like to know what i need to look for or need to do before i strip it down again to replace the spring :?: :?: :? :?

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: KICK START JAMMING

Postby jj.palmer » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:41 pm

Check the profile on the first few teeth of the quadrant, they should be an involute shape but they often wear towards being flat, it may require the first tooth removing, I had to do it to mine, see pic..
I'm guessing that because you have fitted new bushes etc. the gear teeth have moved closer together and that is why they are now jamming.
Another alternative is to reverse the quadrant, the opposite side of the teeth are brand new, never been used, unless it has previously been reversed.

John P.
Attachments
011.JPG

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:41 pm

HI J J I see what you have done was the flat bit you have mark was that a full tooth :?: that you cut off i have found one in a spare gearbox and it looks like your one i can now see what you are saying about the teeth going flat i can see it on the spare one its got about 3 or 4 good teeth on the other end i will look at my one that is in my gearbox i remember wen i was doing the my box the shape of the quadrant looks a different shape each end below the teeth wear it touches the stop in the casing can you still turn it a round :?: and can you reshape the the rest of the worn teeth thank you for your post and photo it is a great help TAKE CARE and KEEP SAFE

jj.palmer

Postby jj.palmer » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:06 am

This may help you if you decide to reverse the kick start quadrant on its shaft, if you cannot open the attachments let me know, I have posted them previously.

John P.
Attachments
Fig 1.pdf
(235.25 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Fig 2.pdf
(487.03 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Fig 3.pdf
(566.71 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

garycullen

Postby garycullen » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:13 pm

I think my BA gearbox is going to have the same problems as Johnny's has.
A few practise kicks after mounting in the frame ( no main chain fitted ) produced a couple of jams, released by hand spinning the clutch basket.
JJ, do your diagrams, particularly Fig 3 also relate to the BA box? The outer cover on the GB is quite different to the BA type.
My box is designated a G107.
Gary
Gary Cullen
Forrest Hill
Auckland
Antipodes
1946 VB600 rigid Tele
1933 Austin 10
2008 Fraser Clubman (like lotus 7 only better )

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:15 pm

HI JJ i am going to do what you say and turn the ratchet round and grind the first tooth off and can you redress the rest of the teeth a little bit or will it remove the hardness of the teeth did the ratchet have that flat bit on the end or is that where the tooth has been removed :?: thank you for your posts they have been a great help :D KEEP SAFE and TAKE CARE

bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bevanclark » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:43 am

This is such a common problem with these boxes that if you buy a replacement quadrant from the Panther Owners Club, it comes with the 1st tooth already ground off ! Cheers, Bevan

jj.palmer

Postby jj.palmer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:52 am

Gary, I cannot comment on the BA gearbox as I know very little about them, both my bikes have GB boxes, possibly someone else may comment or simply take a peek inside it.

Johnny, I would not advice redressing the quadrant/ratchet teeth, I believe that they have may have a shallow hardness ie nidriding process etc..
When the quadrant/ratchet is reversed the 1st tooth is undercut which makes it very weak and also very close to the mating gear, that is why I removed it.

Having done all that I have done I still get the ocasional jam, but has adviced by Paul Jameson some time ago just put the bike in gear, rock the bike backwards and forewards, take it out of gear and away you go.

John P.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:05 pm

HI JJ wen the new kick start spring comes i will strip the box and see what i can do, the spare one i have looks like it has had the tooth cut off but the rest of teeth do not look that good and they did not a good job of it they just cut the side off so the side that curves round is now straight :? and i will not dress the rest of the teeth thank you for the post KEEP SAFE and TAKE SAFE

T Batnes
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby T Batnes » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:12 pm

I just pull the clutch while trodding lightly on the kick, that usually clears the jam.
Ariel W/NG '40 "Bitzer", Triumph Thruxton '04, IZH-49 '56, Tempo Standard 150 '54.

Return to “Ariel Talk”