KICK START JAMMING

Anything about Ariels
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: KICK START JAMMING

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:37 pm

HI T Batnes most of the time i try pulling in the clutch in but it will not free the kick start i have to put it in gear and rock it :?: it is a lot worst now i have replace the kick start shaft and bushes and rebuilt the box with all new bearings and bushes and springs :?:

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:30 am

The first tooth is 1/2 removed on a NEW quadrant and I guess this is done to position the next tooth better with the pinion gear. The pinion wears so the top of the tooth becomes rounded and the new ones are sharp and baulk less when engaging. I suggest the pinion is more of a problem. Anyhow the sharpness of the engaging teeth fixes the problem. Some quadrants are slightly off set (spot faced on one side where they press on the K/S shaft) which will affect reversing it., Nev

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:43 am

HI Nev i did change the pinion for one out of my spare box it look better than i had in my box the teeth on the ratchet on the pinion was better :?: the first tooth is part removed can i remove the next tooth to it :?: or is it best to turn in round and cut the first tooth off :?: :? thank you for your post TAKE CARE and KEEP SAFE

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:06 am

Johnny, It's the sharp point on top of the teeth that "fixes" the jamming. I think the 1/2 off first tooth may help to position the pinion so the next one engages better. There's an offset if you reverse the quadrant. Check it all runs in line with the cover off and the spring out of the way. Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:09 am

Much about the quadrant teeth ,when its the small pinion that needs replacing with a new one .....dont even know if a new pinion is available ...wouldnt be cheap ,anyway.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:01 pm

If the early quadrant teeth and the pinion are sharp pointed , It's nearly impossible to jamb the kicker action. Dress them with a thin disc angle grinder carefully or renew if available, Nev

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:52 pm

HI Nev i have look at the old pinon the one i took out my box and i can see what you say about the teeth going flat and i think the old one that i fitted out of my spare box is as bad as the one i took out :?: i have got a new ratchet and quadrant coming from Geoff at the club spares and he say that it can still jam even with all new parts some GB boxes are just like that :!: but i will give it a try and hope i am lucky now that i have replace everything else in the box :!: :? :( :o thank you for your post TAKE CARE and KEEP SAFE

JohnnyBeckett

Re: KICK START JAMMING UPDATE

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:28 pm

HI All i have now fitted the new ratchet pinon and quadrant from Geroff at the club and kickstart spring but is still jamming after about 3 or 4 kicks and it sticks, now wen it right down at the bottom it sticks as well and the meshing of the ratchet pinon and quadrant feels rough wen you kick it over i have tried everything but i am getting nowhere with it :? :? :? :?: :x :x

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:23 am

Hi Johnny, one of the drawbacks that I found when I had a similar problem with jamming was that you cannot see inside the box and observe what is happening between the quadrant and the pinion, plus, I always found it difficult to tension the spring and fit the outer casing all at the same time.
To overcome this and make life much easier I carried out a small modification, I can now observe what is happening to the kick start mechanism, tension the spring etc. all with the outer casing removed and then fit the outer casing without fiddling with any spring.
See attachments, hope this will help.

John P.
Attachments
IMG_20200722_0001.jpg
IMG_20200722_0002.jpg

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:19 pm

HI John how do you wind the spring up to fit it and is their jost one penny washer fitted to the bolt because the drawing is saying one under the washer that is fitted to the bolt :?: and does that mod stop the kick start jamming :?:

Return to “Ariel Talk”