1930 Model A

Anything about Ariels
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1930 Model A

Postby simon.holyfield » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:10 am

adrie.degraaff wrote:A very nice project, i don't think a model A had a chrome tank, being the cheapest in the list.

Not as standard, no, but the despatch records show that this one had it from new.

Despatch records say nothing about the BTH magneto though and that front guard is the late 40's one.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 am

Brillient Simon, you must keep us all updated.

John P.

andrewhawkswell

Postby andrewhawkswell » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Maybe a bit presumptious of me to comment Simon but isn't your front guard a mid to late 30s one to suit girders rather than the 1946 and afterwards teles with the pressed inwards part between the forks in either side to clear the struts (and lugs pointing down to attach to the struts.)?

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:32 pm

andrewhawkswell wrote:Maybe a bit presumptious of me to comment Simon but isn't your front guard a mid to late 30s one to suit girders rather than the 1946 and afterwards teles with the pressed inwards part between the forks in either side to clear the struts (and lugs pointing down to attach to the struts.)?

That's just the sort of comment that I want to hear! I can't say I've given it much thought, but it leaves me with question. Do I keep it as part of the bike's history?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:34 pm

193509.jpg

Like this one?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:09 pm

HI Simes i would keep it as it is like it was wen you got it i have got bikes that are not right but i leave them as they are get running and ride
and enjoy them 8-) :D

andyhughesflattankarielpre25

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:57 pm

I am with you on that Johnny.If you fitted a new correct mudguard on it would stand out like a shithouse on a prairie, unless you leave it outside for a year.its great to see machines that have had a life and are still being used as found. make safe and ride as is there are plenty of over shiny machines about.My scruffy old things always get comments, like does it run,my reply is "NO" I pushed it here.there faces are a picture every time.Its great you have it Simon,I am pig sick with envy,its a belter,good on you for finding it.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:59 pm

HI Andy i have a 350 red hunter 1953/54 that a friend of mine had it from new and he went to scotland on it in 1960 and over the years he has rag it down the lanes and over the fields so the bike has had a lot of bogge ups in its life and if i put a picture of it on the form i would get people saying that not right or that part is wrong i do not care i am just leaving it like my friend had it ,and enjoyed it, like i an doing now i just make sure it safe and runs well, and i have more bikes like it my days of spending loads of money on bikes to look right to ride down the same roads are long gone :D :D :D 8-) 8-)

andrewhawkswell

Postby andrewhawkswell » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:48 pm

Yes - like that one.
Guess you will have to contemplate what sort of finished effect you want to end up with and whether the guard will stay together - I noticed pin holing on the guard next to the joint with the valence - but as long as the rust moths keep holding hands it should stay together. If it were me I would probably put the "as built" shape front guard on and maybe see if I could distress a new smooth one a bit after painting with wire wool and a brillo pad plus a bit of "weathering" over winter. (i'd draw the line at battering a new guard with a bit of chain tho' :) :) As Johnny has said above its all part of the history - so you putting the new guard on it would also be its history, after a year or two it would tone down, or keeping the existing guard you have ditto - are there any witness marks so can you tell if the existing guard was used on the bike during it's life,rather than just been added to the basket to make it look more complete.

adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby adrian.hannam » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:08 am

It almost looks like it will foul the exhaust pipe. I would keep it, it looks alright and does the job. But Simon you are an experienced restorer, whatever decision you make will be the right one, you don't need to ask.
'48 KG outfit, '51 VH, '51 4G (in bits)
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia

Return to “Ariel Talk”