First quick ride on the KH

Anything about Ariels
JohnLay

First quick ride on the KH

Postby JohnLay » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:37 pm

I say quick, not because of how fast I went, but how quickly I came home again! The brakes both front and rear could at best be said to be ornamental rather that useful.The front brake leaver could be puled back until it touched the the twist-grip without much of anything happening, the rear nothing at all. It didn't however take long to see why, despite Ariel's having a rather useful adjuster under the brake shoe pivots to allow for wear in the shoes some previous owner had decided not to bother with any of that and wound up the cable (and rear rod) adjusters until there wasn't any adjustment left. Why do people do that? What do they think that square on the brake back-plate is for? The result was that both brake arms puled over a right angle so even if they did contact the brake drum they weren't going to do much anyway. Both happily responded to the correct adjustment, although I did replace the the front shoes (there was a difference of about 2mm difference in the thickness of the lining between the the old and new). As result I was able to restore the two adjusters (cable and Rod) so that the brake arms now have a much better angle. Another road test next.

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: First quick ride on the KH

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Think about turning your shoes to match the drums, or use abrasive paper on the inside of the drums. These brakes are OK when set up correctly.

Have you sorted the wheel bearings? With the old felt seals, grease rapidly contaminated my shoes in the shakedown miles. Sealed bearings are the way to go.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:36 pm

hi i had my back brake go on me the brake adjuster housing just fell apart and the adjuster screw moved right out :shock: :shock:

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks for that, although I bought the bike at The July NMM auction last year for a whole lot of reasons I needn't go into here this was my first outing. Said to have been rebuilt sometime ago (not by the vendor) but you can never tell what some people will do in the meantime.

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:43 pm

Have you got a picture of the kh

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Here it is a little after I acquired it, doesn't look really much different now. The top box is no longer there

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:29 pm

If that's Chris Reads old bike, rob jameson will know the history.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:00 pm

Yes, it is Chris Reads old machine and I have read Rob's thread on its restoration. However given the state of the front brake I thought it might be advisable to have a look at the rear shoes as well. Or at least I would if I knew how the rear wheel comes out, so if you are reading this Rob perhaps you or someone can enlighten me. According to the owner's hand book that I have, release the domed nuts from the forked ends of the mudguard stays
and uncouple the brake anchor bar. Only I don't have domed nuts, or forked ends to the stays, plus. and probably more important a brake anchor bar that I can see. Sorry if this all seem a bit basic but I am completely new to Ariel's of any sort.

Pete.Silson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Pete.Silson » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:06 pm

I think you are reading the instructions for the rigid frame, the spring frame wheel removal instructions are probably under the spring frame section later in the manual.
KH500 1a.jpg
KH500 1a.jpg (134.9 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Release the nuts (A) on the L-shaped mudguard stays and loosen the nuts (B) on the mudguard bridge stay (just behind the seat spring mountings) - this allows the mudguard to tilt upwards to give you enough room to get the wheel out. The spring frame doesn't have a brake anchor (just a slot in the brake plate). You will need to disconnect the rear chain and undo the two axle nuts to release the rear wheel.

Pete

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:28 pm

Thank you Pete, obvious now it's pointed out.

Return to “Ariel Talk”