First quick ride on the KH

Anything about Ariels
JohnLay

Re: First quick ride on the KH

Postby JohnLay » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:54 am

Decided to have a look at the clutch plates, although the clutch was improved still not right. However upon removal the reason the "sticking" soon became apparent, the plates were covered with something akin to black treacle. Once clean they were resembled and as before the lift was checked with a dial gauge.

Imagehd photo sharing

Found that I needed to readjust the the clutch cable again afterwards, but once done it was time for anther ride. A longer ride this time, to my local M/C club which evolved both town and country roads. First thing I found was the fact was that clutch the released straight-a way, no sticking, no crunch when selecting first gear. Finding neutral at the many traffic lights between me and the countryside was much easier as well. Clutch cleaning it would seam was worth the effort. How much more enjoyable a ride can be when everything works as it should. Rolling at about 50/5 mph - a speed that both the bike and I found comfortable - on warm summer evening, can't be bad.

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:48 pm

Because I have no idea when the oil and/or the filter were last changed I thought I might do that. However on removing the filter I found that it has no markings and/or numbers to tell me what to replace it with. Half an hour going through filters at my local Motorist spare shop failed to to find anything even similar, so I am faced with either putting the old one back which rather looses the point, or doing away with the filler all together putting back to the way Ariel made in the first place. As the machine is now not likely to to get the amount of use it may have had in the past that's probably what I will do, just change the oil more often.

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:47 pm

if you record here the dimensions of your filter ,many here have filter list books ......if its a spin on ,include the thread.

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:16 pm

Try drags for the filter, or check dimensions of one off commando.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:36 pm

Spin-on type 76mm OD 62mm Depth 16x1.5 thread.

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:43 pm

There isn't a lot of choice for return-line filters, we nearly always end up using Norton Commando units which at least makes replacement filters fairly easy.
Feked also do them (got mine there)
https://www.feked.com/norton-commando-7 ... ridge.html
Filter might also be Citroen 2CV - see this thread(has filter numbers in it)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3887&p=24231&hilit=2cv#p24231
PM the builder if desperate!

HTH

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Pete.Silson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Pete.Silson » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 pm

The filter used on the Drags inline base is a Champion COF103101S or equivalent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Champion-Replacement-Screw-on-Oil-Filter-COF103101S-Trade-H101-606/352368838349

Pete

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:05 pm

Thank you people for your suggestions, had a look at Commando filters. There are lots of them out there but very few bother to put the dimensions in their adds, when I did find one it was too tall at 79mm, I am limited for space as the filter is located between the lover frame rails not much room there.

robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby robjameson » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:20 pm

John,

It is a commando filter housing and filter. I bought it from eBay, possibly emco branded?

Rob
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1956 Ariel KH (LARGE project!)

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:48 am

JohnLay wrote:Thank you people for your suggestions, had a look at Commando filters. There are lots of them out there but very few bother to put the dimensions in their adds, when I did find one it was too tall at 79mm, I am limited for space as the filter is located between the lover frame rails not much room there.

I've got one on the FH, currently on the bench. Do you need some dimensions?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Return to “Ariel Talk”